1 faction decks

Discuss anything related to World War II: TCG

Moderator: mtormo

1 faction decks

Postby Johnwayne » 22 Jul 2020, 14:50

I’ve been playing 1 faction decks for a few weeks now of all factions with dismal results. In my humble opinion the different factions are as of yet not designed to be competitive in this way. I think only 3 or 4 cards are needed across the factions to make this so however.
Johnwayne
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: 1 faction decks

Postby Assassin » 22 Jul 2020, 15:39

Well...there is ONE FACTION where you can use 1 faction deck with acceptable loss of efficiency...namely because that faction has most of the "must have " orders...
Other nations are not well designed for one faction decks...as they need equipment and/or orders from OTHER FACTIONS. For instance, one nation can use infantry decks and is easy to fill the board (lots free units) but has no national card to get around blocking cards...or even an artillery type equipment...making it much easier to block. If using "single nation" it often happens you have 4 or more strong units that are hard to kill but they keep getting blocked. The solution is often the use of orders/equipment from other nations...
(this is an example...other issues exist where orders from OTHER nations are the solution...in the past we had cards that could not attack without help from other nation)

The problem is that some orders are "necessary" to make a deck effective in PVP (versus strong opponents)...or at least so strong that not using them makes a big difference.
In terms of units the difference is smaller...i am using single nation UNIT decks for MONTHS now. BUT it is noticeable that some strong units can provide and advantage to optimal decks...i just ignore it as it is an acceptable risk.

As it is now...ANY NATION is playable with just units from that nation. FULL SINGLE NATION decks will work only for ONE NATION...loss of effectiveness is considerable on all other nations. Bear in mind...this applies when you have A REASONABLY GOOD DECK...weaker decks NEED all help then can get...often from other nation order (or even units).

FULL SINGLE NATION DECKS are fun to play actually...but if you meet someone with a similarly valued but multi nation deck...you will lose more than 75% of the times...
IF ONE NATION DECKS are intended to be "stronger", then devs must add some STRONG orders to all nations (or provide equivalents)...with care so those cannot accumulate in case "one nation" is not mandatory...some orders should not be possible in more than ONE CARD (per deck).

I AM NOT SURE what would happen if SINGLE NATION was "mandatory"...the issue is more when SINGLE fights versus MULTINATION...if "forced" to use single nation it MAY BE BALANCED...but i doubt it...like i said...one nation has most of the "good" orders, so it would probably have an advantage...
(In tournaments there was a kind of balance, but no diamond cards also)

I am DELIBERATELY not mentioning the cards, so nobody can claim i am asking for "nerfs"...
10.000 Lemmings can't be wrong...
Assassin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Pieterr » 23 Jul 2020, 19:22

@ jw: respect for playing 1 faction decks and sharing results.
As I recall, the game was never intended to play 1 faction decks: New players can't make a 1 faction deck. They' d never could participate in pvp.
Making more powerful orders will influence multi faction decks too !!! (Imagine decks with 3 x nosb in it)
Every faction has qualities of their own. To my opinion these qualities are reasonably good balanced. But it is shown best in battles between non-multi decks.

The best idea (I ve read in a long time) was to make a second (1 faction only) pvp league.
This new pvp league should be different than the current one.
1. It is 1 faction only
2a. Instead of having to own the cards, all cards are available
2b. Rarities of cards in these decks are the same (for example: 8 diamonds, 2 leg.elite, 12 ep.elite, 2 legendaries, 4 epics and 2 rares)
3. Rewards should be different.

I like this idea very much because:
- I like 1 faction decks too
- it allows players to test specific cards (combo's) before crafting

If it will ever see being implemented depends on fs.
Pieter
Pieterr
Captain
Captain

Postby mtormo » 24 Jul 2020, 08:04

Hello,

This is an interesting topic and something that we discussed in the past when we created the crafting option. While "1 faction" decks were something that we aimed for, we didn't want to limit players when creating decks.

While "defensive" orders can be more faction alike, offensive orders usually don't have a "huge faction necessity". We have added cards to reduce order cost and try to create more faction order cards but some orders are key in almost any deck.

About 1 faction pvp is something really fun but there's always the same issue, if we divide the queues, the amount of players found on pvp will be highly reduced.

Regards,
mtormo
WWIITCG Admin
WWIITCG Admin

Postby Assassin » 24 Jul 2020, 11:14

mtormo wrote:About 1 faction pvp is something really fun but there's always the same issue, if we divide the queues, the amount of players found on pvp will be highly reduced.

What about some BONUS for playing one faction decks? You obviously can monitor it...as there are monthly rewards that require playing only "X faction" cards...

SO...if a player plays (or wins) using one faction deck he may get some extra gold. Or better...chance of a card (from any edition) of that faction...
(you can even make it only versus humans to reduce "farming"...fine by me)

Idea is to make some bored players try it more...and even meet each other. I have a couple non faction cards on "weaker" decks i would replace if such bonus existed...and pretty sure some others would also...
Assassin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Aine » 25 Jul 2020, 06:24

Germans need a second artillery item so that I don't need to use Soviet aty. These are the only two non-German cards that I use right now, and then US MG, but that's not that important as those artillery cards.
However I only play raids, so idk what has/could be done to improve pvp. (Other than reworking the system completely.)
Aine
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby mtormo » 27 Jul 2020, 08:33

SO...if a player plays (or wins) using one faction deck he may get some extra gold. Or better...chance of a card (from any edition) of that faction...

This is something interesting, "pvp" bonuses instead of queues can be implemented and wouldn't affect the queue.

Regards,
mtormo
WWIITCG Admin
WWIITCG Admin

Postby Aine » 27 Jul 2020, 17:20

1. It is 1 faction only
2a. Instead of having to own the cards, all cards are available
2b. Rarities of cards in these decks are the same (for example: 8 diamonds, 2 leg.elite, 12 ep.elite, 2 legendaries, 4 epics and 2 rares)
3. Rewards should be different.

at 1: that's cool
at 2a: that's even cooler, and it makes for an AoE2 experience which may be a HUGE improvement.
at 2b: this could be too limiting, a points system would be better... but also extremely hard to balance.
at 3: yep!
Aine
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Pieterr » 28 Jul 2020, 10:11

Well,...
If someone is playing a 1 faction deck to someone who isn't, then the player with the 1 faction deck gets to play first?
Pieter
Pieterr
Captain
Captain

Postby Assassin » 28 Jul 2020, 13:36

Been paying more attention...and in fact, in tight games the "one faction" decks will lose a lot of firepower...the opponent can use some key orders and equipment that will turn the tide...conversely...you will not have those...and some decks have no such things as "artillery" or efficient "removal" (or "mass removal") cards...

The good thing is you can do a pretty good deck with 5 non-faction cards...but losing those has a "larger than expected" effect...some cards are so "common" that not using them is a large gap in the strategy...

I used a brit deck+5 non-brit cards for months...replacing those 5 cards by brit cards made it almost impossible to beat top players vs which i had a 50% win ratio or so...initially odd, but makes some sense after you think a bit about it...
Assassin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Next

Return to General Discussion