Bugs in Tournament PVP

Report Bugs and any problems you may experience in the game

Moderator: mtormo

Bugs in Tournament PVP

Postby Assassin » 09 Feb 2020, 17:18

Hi,

I am writing this after having lost the tournament semifinal partly due to a game bug. As you can understand, it is not a pleasant experience.
I have NO COMPLAINT against my opponent and EVEN LESS against the tournament organizer. And in truth, bugs happen.
HOWEVER...it is my opinion that bugs in friendly PVP are more frequent and potentially more annoying than regular play, and should be better handled if you want tournaments to succeed.

In my case...i was playing normally, but when the opponent turn was played i saw the BACKS of the cards appear...and nothing else. Network was ok as i could still chat with opponent and platoon. The gameplay ONLY simply froze. When i logged out i was awarded the loss.
As this had happened before i took the time to (1) charge the battery, (2) close all other apps, (3) play NEXT to the router...still i lost to a disconnect/bug.

This is a pity as i was actually having fun and this changes a lot my desire to play tournaments.
At the very least, disconnects/bugs should be detected as such, so game can be replayed...and even so, this is also a potential issue as someone (sometimes both) may think he was winning, and the next game may go the other way...

Rationally, this may be just another way of luck to intervene (in truth, decks were very similar, so luck would be important)...but in reality this has a strong impact on motivation to play tournaments again...

I also think that sooner or later this issue will hit the community as there are players that handle these things way worse than i do...
10.000 Lemmings can't be wrong...
Assassin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: Bugs in Tournament PVP

Postby Johnwayne » 09 Feb 2020, 17:35

I am also of the opinion that friendly pvp is less stable then ranked match pvp.
Johnwayne
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Dicksharpe » 09 Feb 2020, 18:20

As you know I suffered a similar issue during this tournament, on my screen I won the game, but opponent and apparently you! Saw it differently!?!

As in assassin's case, I was not disconnected and continued to post on chat, so using that as an excuse is not relevant!

By your agreement this tournament was arranged and PAID for by a player, you have benefited financially from this, and in my opinion this is a poor showing for the game. It was an opportunity, given by the persistence and generosity of JW, to increase interest in the game. Many players are looking for a more competitive/fun element to PvP system, which I still hear many complaints about!

I'm sure he'll think twice about offering to do it again!

For me, to win or lose, prizes or no, is not the main thing. It was about more players entering, the competitiveness and THE FUN.

Choose to ignore or explain by bad connection issues if u want, but players know this isn't the truth.
Dicksharpe
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby mtormo » 11 Feb 2020, 19:57

Hello,

We understand that the friendly pvp is not a perfect system for tournaments but this is the only feature that we have available if players want to organise a tournament. We tried our best to provide help and tools for your tournaments and we'll review what happened on these matches to improve pvp but when both players are matched, it works similar to a pvp competitive match.

Friendly tournaments are something new (for us too) and of course you can decide the rules about disconnections and how to handle in that cases.

Regards,
mtormo
WWIITCG Admin
WWIITCG Admin

Postby Assassin » 12 Feb 2020, 11:17

mtormo wrote:Hello,

We understand that the friendly pvp is not a perfect system for tournaments but this is the only feature that we have available if players want to organise a tournament. We tried our best to provide help and tools for your tournaments and we'll review what happened on these matches to improve pvp but when both players are matched, it works similar to a pvp competitive match.

Friendly tournaments are something new (for us too) and of course you can decide the rules about disconnections and how to handle in that cases.

Regards,

Ok. First a thank you for the tournament support. Not trying to be ungrateful.

As to the rules...there is no perfect solution. I could have insisted i wanted to replay the match...and in all honesty, my opponent provided that option. However, if i had accepted (and won), an all new set of issues would be raised. It is clear to all players that a claim of "disconnect" can be used to avoid a loss...and all i had was my view, no way to prove anything. So...it is actually fair that whatever the game decides is used as a rule, even if i didn't like it personally...at least when real prizes are at stake.

My point. Games in general, and tournament games in particular should be more stable and eventually (if technically possible) diagnose technical issues and provide that feedback. It may be possible to distinguish between a bug where two players see different things (or one jams) and a deliberate disconnect...and provide a "draw" or something.

It may be useful to check if the game I described, provided some data that allowed to see something was wrong...

Right or wrong...(some) players feel Friendly PVP hangs more than normal PVP. The effect where one of the players sees the game freeze, while the other still can play is NOT COMMON in normal PVP...but somewhat frequent in friendlies...
EDIT: It is also common in friendlies (bug) that you can still chat with opponent...all the time, even after bug occurs and before game disconnects...
10.000 Lemmings can't be wrong...
Assassin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby mtormo » 14 Feb 2020, 09:21

Hello,

We understand that a disconnection match would cause a lot frustration especially in a tournament and there's no perfect way to handle them from rules perspective. In our end, we'll do our best in improve the pvp system and how the matches are managed.

and a deliberate disconnect...and provide a "draw" or something.

It would be really difficult to know if a player "forced" a disconnection or it was a legit problem with its connection.

At the end, we'll try our best in improve the stability of pvp, but "disconnections" will always happen and players (organisers) need to find a good (at least fair) solution that all participants are happy with.

Regards,
mtormo
WWIITCG Admin
WWIITCG Admin

Return to Technical Support