Guide Stalingrad Mission (hard)

Discuss anything related to World War II: TCG

Moderator: mtormo

Guide Stalingrad Mission (hard)

Postby Pieterr » 15 Jul 2015, 18:11

Guide Stalinggrad Mission Hard

Introduction
As Aleman is making a guide to get you through the Iwo Jima mission (hard), I thought let me write a few things about the Stalingrad mission (hard).
At this moment I’m on 128 victories on hard missions. I’ve gained most of them ( 120+) on the hard missions on Stalingrad. And today I’ve got my 11th special portrait frame for it. Which is basically the same as the first I’ve gained.
Anyway, this thread is how I look at this particular mission and how I play it. So it is absolutely not a guide of how it should be played. If you want to use different tactics or have a different approach then it’s fine with me.

The mission(s), the costs and the benefits
The Stalingrad mission (hard) contains 4 battles. To play it you’ll have to pay 200 gold.
The first, second and third battle you’ve won will return (each) about 25-35 gold of what you’ve paid. So after winning the 3rd battle you’ll be around 100 gold.
After winning the second and third battle you’ll get free cards as well. Mostly these cards are commons and uncommon.
After winning the 4th battle you’ll get a Russian pack or (preferably) a general pack. If you’re lucky you might even get a special portrait frame.
If you would sell all the cards you’ve gained after winning this mission, you’d end up with a bit more than 200 gold (at least this is my experience).
If you’re a member of a platoon winning a hard mission will provide the platoon also with 600 platoonpoints. Once a week you’ll get 10% returned to you in gold. Which is another 60 gold.
So playing costs 200, winning gains around 260 which is a benefit of 60 gold. However, nobody wins a 100%. If you lose the 1st battle, you’ll lose 200 gold. If you lose the 2nd battle your loss will be about 170 gold. Losing the 3rd battle means a loss of about 130 gold. Losing the 4th battle is still a loss of about 90 gold.

A first look at the Russian Deck
Throughout the 4 battles you’ll have to win to achieve the ultimate victory you’ll have a Russian Deck at your disposal. This deck is the same on all these 4 battles. So let’s have a look at it…
The Russian Deck contains 30 cards, which are 16 infantry units, 8 items and 6 orders. (3 Legends, 4 Epics, 7 Rares, 12 uncommons and 4 commons).
First thing you’ll see is that the only units you’ve got are infantry units. So there’s no armor, no planes,… just infantry. Is this bad? Not at all! Because these infantry units have abilities the German army hasn’t. So let’s have a look at these abilities.
The abilities the Russians have are:
- Sniper Damage, these units get to strike first. If such a unit kills the enemy unit opposing it then it won’t get damaged itself.
- Armor Piercing, these units will kill every opposing enemy which has the same level as they have themselves or lower no matter if they’ve done enough damage or not. In other words: A soldier kills a soldier, a major kills a soldier and/or a major and a general kills whatever he’s opposed to.
- Shock Effect, Units with this ability will do extra (shock) damage after their attack, but there has to be an enemy unit to do the damage to. The extra (shock) damage depends on the rank they have: A soldier does 2, a major does 4 and a general does an extra 6 damage. Another important thing about shock is that it’s effective the same turn it enters play.
Knowing these abilities, also gives you a very good look at what the most important infantry cards of the Russian deck are:
- Vasily Zaytsev, this unit has sniper and armor piercing;
- Georgy Zhukov, this unit has armor piercing (and propaganda);
- 184 Rifle Division, sniper;
- Soviet Snipers, yep they are also snipers;
- 3rd Shock Army.

These 8 cards are the key to the Russian strategy. It holds 2 of the 3 legends, 2 of the 4 Epics and 4 of the 7 Rare cards in the Russian Deck.

A first look at the 4 battles ahead
You will start the first battle with 80 life points. These points can only decrease. There is no way to gain life points: So what you’ll end with after winning the 1st battle you’ll start with in the 2nd battle and so on.
Your German enemy starts the 1st battle with 60 life points, starts the 2nd battle with 80 life points and starts the 3rd and the 4th battle with 100 life points. That’s 340 German life points divided over 4 battles against your 80 for the same battles.
The first and the second battle are not that tough. If you manage to start the 3rd battle with about 65 life points you’ve done a good job. The 3rd and 4th battle are quite hard. I’ll explain about this later.
Another thing which needs to be mentioned are action points. You’ll get 3 action points on each of your turns. During the 1st and the 2nd battle your German opponent has 4 action points each turn. During the 3rd and the 4th battle it even has 5 action points each turn. This is one of the main reasons why these battles are so hard to win. The other reason is that the German deck improves after each battle.

A first look at strategy
The first important thing is that you get to start. In other words: You’ve got the initiative. When you take the key cards in consideration you’ll want the sniper and armor piercing infantry in the front and the shockers in the support line.
Non of the Russian infantry units at your disposal has the “deploy” ability. This ability allows such a unit to start in the front row. So every Russian infantry unit starts in the support line. If you take a look at the 3rd shock army card you’ll notice that this card stays in the support line. So keep in mind that when you’ll play this card that you’ll never be able to put a friendly unit in front of it.
Basically you’ll want to see no German cards after you’ll finished your turn. You’ll want a clean German board and you’ll sure don’t want them to build up forces. Every unit you’ll kill will cost your German enemy 1 action point just to bring it into play again. The same goes for your Russians except you don’t have that many action points. So the units you’ll play have to stick around and should only be replaced for better units.

The German army
Well, what does your German enemy throw at you? Unlike the Russians the Germans have infantry, armor and planes at their disposal. Planes however won’t show up until the 3rd battle.
To understand the German tactics you’ll need to know about the abilities these cards have. So let’s take a look at them,….(in no particular order)
- Blitzkrieg, a unit with blitzkrieg will do its damage directly to you: It can’t be blocked
- Deploy, these units may start directly in the front
- Scout, this unit takes other units in the support line with it to the frontline. Notice that a combination of a scout unit and a blitzkrieg unit always will cost you life points
- Brutality, units with this ability will do exactly the damage needed to kill off an opponent. If there’s damage left it effects the life points
- Flamethrower, when a unit with this ability enters the battlefield it does damage to an infantry unit. The amount of damage depends on the rank it has: A soldier does 2 damage, a major does 5 and a general unit does 8 damage. Remember that all your Russian troops are infantry,…
- Death Flames, a unit with this ability will kill an infantry unit after battle if it has the same (or lower) rank than it has itself
- Flight, these units can’t be blocked unless the blocking unit has the flight ability itself or the blocking unit has to be equipped with an item to allow it to block such a unit.
- Perfect Infiltration, when a unit with this ability comes into play it destroys an enemy unit with the same or lower rank
- Barrage, a unit with this ability will do damage at the start of a it’s turn to every enemy units. The amount of damage it does depends on the rank is has. A soldier does 1 damage, a major does 2 and a general does 3 damage.
- Motorized, these units improve the stats of a friendly unit or their own. Depending on the rank they have. Notice that these units already grow stronger once they’ve got promoted. The improvement of stats is an extra.
- Well equipped, units with this ability get the 1st item for free. Equipping them with a 2nd item will cost 1 action point only. Regular units (without this ability) will have to spend 1 action point for the first item and 2 action points for the second.
Besides units with these abilities there are a few other abilities your German enemy has at it’s disposal. Some units are reinforced which means they have to get more damage (depending on the rank they have) before they get killed. So do your math thoroughly before hitting the red button. Besides that the Germans have a blitztruck which allows them to gain life points. The blitztruck never bothered me much, most of the time the unit behind it in the support line which is building up force annoys me.

A second look at strategy and a closer look to the Russian cards
The strategy as I’ve pointed out so far is:
- Snipers and Armor piercing units in the front line
- Shock troopers in the support line
- All German units are gone after finishing your turn

Propaganda
This card allows you to promote a unit for 1 action point. Promoting a unit normally will cost you 2 action points. So whenever this card shows up know that you’ve got 4 action points to spend instead of the 3 you’ve got. So use it! If you’ve got 1 action point left and you have to make a choice to promote the epic sniper or the soviet sniper with the propaganda card than upgrade the soviet sniper: His stats on rank 2 are better than his epic colleague. Of course, you’ll have to keep in mind the enemy units which they are opposing. I’d sometimes find an empty German board on the end of my turn more important than the use of the propaganda card. It depends on the situation.

Georgy Zhukov
Besides the armor piercing ability this unit has, it has also the ability of propaganda. Promoting this unit to a major costs only 1 action point which is cheap. Zhukov’s propaganda ability will only work when he comes into play and it will be able to promote a unit to the same rank he has himself. So before you play this guy make sure that you’ll have a unit in play that can profit of his propaganda ability.
You’ll notice that the German army likes to hunt your best cards in play. Except, divine troubleshooting is not their strongest issue. So what it does, it targets your legends, epic and rares and so on. So if you’re building up your forces in the front line it is not a bad idea to put a Zhukov in the support line. You’d rather have Zhukov swallow up the damage than your (early fragile) front forces. When Zhukov is killed it goes back into your deck and this is not bad either. It’s just another chance to get him returned to you in a next turn so that you can spend 4 action points instead of 3.

Items
The Russian deck contains 8 items. Each item improves the skills and the stats of the unit you’re going to equip it to. The higher the rank of the unit, the higher the stats it additionally gets from the item. Equipping Snipers with items is very useful, as their stats grow they are harder to kill. This is exactly what you want: Your snipers will need a high power to be able to kill off opposing enemies. And if it doesn’t can It swallow up the damage it gets in return and will it be able to kill the opposing enemy on the next turn? This is the math you’ll do most of time during the battles.
Let’s take a look at the items you’ve got at your disposal,….

Mosing-Nagant
This is the legendary gun. Equip it to a unit and it gets to be a sniper. This is a very useful card. As I’ve mentioned before: You’ve got 16 infantry units in your deck. Only 5 of them have the sniper ability. Using this card makes that 6! So I prefer to use this card on a unit which isn’t already a sniper. There’s no such thing as double-sniper damage. Of course, there could be reasons or circumstances to equip this item on a unit which is already a sniper. For example if you want to improve the stats of the sniper or you want it to be able to deal the brutality damage.
I like to equip my shock troops with it. A 3rd rank (general) shock troop equipped with this item is really devastating and very hard to kill. It deals 12 regular damage and after that 6 shock damage if needed.

Order of Glory
This is nation bound item and therefore the best item for your Russians to improve their stats. In fact, that is all that it does. Anyway it is quite a different if your rank 3 (general) does 7 first damage or 12 first damage (when it is equipped with this item).

F1 Grenade
Besides the stats it improves it also does direct damage to the life points of the German Army you’re fighting. All the units equipped with this item will throw a grenade at the beginning of your turn. If you’ve got 2 rank 3 (general) units equipped with this item it is 12 damage every turn! In the last two battles you’ll notice that the German army has 5 action points to spend each turn. Most of the time the support line will be filled with German troops. Only if you’ve got a Mosing-Nagant in play then one of your units has brutality and the extra damage gets extracted from the life points of the German Army. In other words: As long as the German army fills the gaps in the support line you won’t be able to do direct damage, you’re just killing units. The direct damage these grenades do saved the day for me more than once. The last thing I wish to mention about the grenade is that your German enemy can also equip units with it.

NKVD equipment
This equipment grants a unit shock damage. It also improves stats of course but this is minimum. It is a bad idea to equip your shock troops with it since they already have shock. There is no such thing as double shock. Another thing about this item is that it will do shock damage if able, no matter where the unit it is equipped to is. For this reason I prefer to equip units with it in the support line.
The only other unit which can provide shock damage are your shock troops. They always stay in the support line. Equipping a sniper with this item is also nice: if you’ve got your math right than it kills off the enemy unit in the front line with its sniper damage and after that it kills (or weakens) the opposing unit in the enemy support line.

Anti-Air gun
As I’ve mentioned before: Planes don’t show up until the 3rd battle. Most of the time I use this item for the stats improvement and not for its ability to block planes.

Other Russian infantry units
Besides the key cards of the Russian deck, there are 8 other infantry units at your disposal. These units don’t have the sniper and/or armor piercing ability. They also don’t have shock. What use do they have?

2nd Guards Tamanskaya
When this unit comes into play it can strengthen itself or another friendly ally in play. Depending on its rank the extra strength it provides is +1/1 on rank 1 till +3/3 on rank 3 (general). If you play this card then make the extra strength it provides useful. Sometimes a sniper needs just this little extra power to be able to finish off its direct opponent. If you play it and the extra strength this card provides is not really needed than grant it to a general card if able. A general unit can’t be further promoted so the extra strength won’t get lost. The most stupid thing you can do is to grant this unit its own extra strength then promote it. Stats of this unit are reasonable. It can swallow up quite some damage, but eventually it going to die. Remember, the strategy is to maintain the units on your side of the battlefield. Bringing them back into play will cost an action point again.

1st Guards Division
When you bring this card into play it deals damage depending on the rank it has. A soldier does 2 damage, a major deals 4 damage and a general deals 6 damage. To promote it to a general will cost 3 action points. Obviously you will want the Zhukov card or Propaganda card to do this for you. The stats of a general are 9/9. Equip it with the Mosin-Nagant rifle and you’ve got yourself a 14/12 sniper. Is it a bad card? No, it isn’t. It works just fine. I use it to help my snipers in need just like the previous card I’ve discussed. So again: you do your math and you let your snipers do the killing for you.

13th Guards Division
This is a defensive card: It hardly does any damage but it’s tough (hard to kill). Besides that it is slow. It takes an extra turn to get it to the frontline. These are 2 reasons why I feel that this is the worst infantry card in the pack. Especially the slow ability is annoying. You have to realize that when this card is placed in your support line that it will stay there for two turns. Imagine that the German army has a unit with blitzkrieg oppose it. This blitzkrieg unit has 2 turn to build up strength and do its damage directly to you. You are a sitting duck! You can’t move this unit, you can’t put a unit directly in the frontline. This means you’ll have to spend more action points to get you out of this situation. And when this unit is finally ready to move its lazy ash to the frontline it hardly does any damage. My advice is to avoid playing this card unless you’ve got no other option. The only other reason to play this card is when you’ve got a strong enemy unit which you can’t kill or disable. Then let this unit swallow up most of its damage.

Shtrafbat
This is the only common infantry unit you’ve got. As a soldier it has 5/5 stats. It can grow to a 7/7 general. Every promotion costs 2 action points. To my opinion it is a reasonable card (as a soldier) in the first 2 battles you play.

Orders
The most important order is the Propaganda card. I’ve already discussed this card. The Russian Deck has 5 more orders in it. So let’s have a look at them.

Concentrated Fire
This card allows you to do 3, 5, or 8 damage to a unit or directly to your opponent. Again, this card should be used in combination with the sniper / shock damage you do just like the 2nd Guards Tamanskaya unit and the 1st guards division unit. Before you play this card do your math properly. It is better to promote your sniper if that’s what it takes to kill the opposing unit than to help your sniper with this order. The promotion is permanent, the order is temporary.
This card also allows you to do direct damage. I haven’t mentioned this before but you have to keep track of the life points of the German army. Whenever you’ve got the chance to finish the battle than finish it. Don’t let it last another turn.

Captured
For 1 action point you can withhold an enemy unit from attacking its next turn. For 2 action points you can withhold all enemy units from attacking. So it’s about postponing damage you’re going to get. If this is the situation than it is the beginning of the end…. Your end! Remember that you’ve got only 3 action points to spend on your turn, your enemy has 5. What will happen is that you’ve spend 2 action points on damage preventing and your enemy is spending 5 action points on promoting, equipping and direct damage. So the next turn your problem will only be worse. So what good is this card then?
I sometimes use this card on an enemy Maus. Depending on its rank the Maus already does 1 till 3 damage. If my unit opposing it has to get rid of it than the captured card may come in handy. It buys me an additional turn to strengthen up my units power. Another reason to play the captured card is when the German Army has a unit with Blitzkrieg or Flight in the frontline and a another unit with Blitzkrieg or Flight behind it. Your sniper kills the enemy unit in the frontline and when it is Germany’s turn you get the damage of the unit behind it. Playing a captured card on this unit prevents the damage.

Winning at all costs
This order strengthens up the power of your units and weakens them as well. In the first two battles you can perfectly strengthen up your snipers with it. Don’t play this card in battle 3 and/or 4. By now, the Germans have the confusion card at their disposal which makes your units attack against themselves. I suppose there’s no need to explain what this will do when you’ve powered them up and weakened them at the same time. Of course, it is this card that ends the battle than don’t hesitate and use it.

Incapacitated
This card makes an enemy unit less strong. For 1 action point it reduces the power with 5. For 2 action points it reduces the power of an enemy unit with 15. The first thing to know is that the effect of this card is gone when the incapacitated unit gets promoted. So if it is damage preventing you’re after then play it only on a general. Otherwise it’ll be a waste of action points.
I preferably play this card to help my friend Zhukov out. Zhukov isn’t a sniper but he has got the armor piercing ability. As a general he kills every opposing unit for sure, but he has to swallow their damage as well. This card reduces the damage he has to take so that he can do another killing for me in the next turn.

The 1st Battle
In the first battle the German Army has 60 life points and it has 4 action points to spend on each of its turns. You’ll notice that your enemy is playing a lot of units that can start directly in the front line. So these are units with the deploy ability: Fallschrim Division, Flieger Division and the Sdkfz mule. It also plays Hetzer which make units without the deploy ability move to the front line as well. However the use of the Hetzer is from time to time poorly.
Anyway, by the time you’ll start your turn 3 or 4 you should be in control of the battlefield.
In your first turn it isn’t that bad to fill only 2 positions in your support line or even 1. Most of the time the German army deploys a unit in its frontline(s) opposing it. You can fill the gaps later and if you do take a little bit of damage than don’t worry about it.
Keep track of the rank of an opposing Brummbar and make sure that the unit you’ll send to kill it is higher in rank otherwise it gets killed.
Keep track of the ranks of the opposing Flammpanzers, when they return to battle they will do damage. But by that time your 184 rifle division should be strong enough handle that damage.

The 2nd Battle
In the second battle the German Army has 80 life points to deal with and has again 4 action points to spend on eacht of its turn. By now the first Tigers show up. The first Brandenburger makes his entrance and you can also encounter the Maus. However this battle should still be easily won.

The 3rd and the 4th (and final) battle
By now the German war machine really comes to steam. It has 100 life points and 5 action points every turn. For the Russian army it is a race against the clock. The German deck gets a lot better: Brandenburgers, Maus, planes, Marshall batons and Confusion. This all makes it a really nasty opponent. Especially the enemy Brandenburgers are always trouble to me.
Your first turns are essential to your chances of survival / winning this battle.
If you have a lucky draw in your first opening hand, for example: 1 Zhukov and 2 snipers and you’ll decide to spend your action points to play these 3 cards. Then you’ve got a reasonable chance that your enemy plays 2 Brandenburgers (killing your Zhukov and 1 sniper). Than it promotes the Brandenburgers to rank 2 (major) and plays a 3rd unit. At the end of the German turn you’ll have 1 sniper rank 1 left opposing 3 enemy units. To be short: This battle is over and you’ve lost it.
The race against the clock is in fact the race against the enemy Brandenburgers. So don’t trigger them.
I find that my chances improve when I play only 1 unit in my first turn and promote it immediately to rank 2. If you’re lucky you can even attach an item to it or even promote it to a general. Yes, I leave a big gap open on my support line. As a matter of a fact: Two positions!
But an enemy Brandenburger won’t kill anything when it would come into play so the chances that the only unit I have played will last are better. Chances that the German army chooses to play a different card than a Brandenburger now that it won’t kill a thing are also better.
The German army plays very often the Tiger II card. This Panzer is strong but slow. Promoting is expensive. But the Germans don’t have to worry about not having enough action points. So deal with it before it gets to powerful.
If you lose an already promoted unit than it’s too bad. Hopefully it returns to you very fast.
When you’ve build up a strong defense than try to keep it that way. Do your math properly! For example if you get a concentrated fire than you can let it deal directly 8 damage to the life points of your opponent. But it is better to check if you can kill an enemy blocker with this 8 damage if your unit will do more damage to the life total of your enemy.
I can’t say that 4th battle is tougher than the 3rd. To my opinion they are both tough. I’ve have noticed though that the German opponent plays more planes in the 4th Battle. At least this is my experience. In the 4th battle the Germans throw in their Grossdeutschland Division. This unit is easily (cheap) equipped and it can become very powerful in a very short time. But still this is not the real trouble you are facing. The real trouble are the Brandenburgers and the Maus, if you can’t kill it in time.

So thanks for reading, I wish you all a very good hunting in Stalingrad,

Greetz,

Pieter
Last edited by Pieterr on 12 Oct 2018, 13:21, edited 2 times in total.
Pieter
Pieterr
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: Guide Stalingrad Mission (hard)

Postby alemán » 15 Jul 2015, 19:21

nice guide, thx, very concise 8-)
alemán
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby nAFAI » 16 Jul 2015, 10:03

Sticky!
nAFAI
WWIITCG Admin
WWIITCG Admin

Postby 5Cats » 16 Jul 2015, 15:23

Very nice! You've covered everything, that's no easy task!

In the grenades? It ends: "The last thing I wish to mention about the grenade is that... " Oh the suspense! (lolz)

I'd say again: the 2-10 is terrible, only in sheer desperation, or if it's soaking up damage & will die that turn should it be played.

Hetzers are the worst! Even worse than Brandenbergers (except R-3, those are the worst of all!) so when Day-4 comes, there's no more Hetzers, it's actually easier IF you get a strong start. Otherwise the 5 AP will eat you up quickly.

On the days with Bergers? There's 2 opening tactics I've found that work (turn 1 especially, but often turn 2 as well) for me:

Promote a sniper. Just 1 unit in play! Put it in the first slot (left). Hopefully the Epic with an item, but Vasily or the 3-6 promoted if that's all you've got. Propaganda is terrific on turn-1!
- This is Berger-proof, can handle most Paratroopers (which often get promoted too, so are 6-6 or 7-5) and are prepared for some nasty unit in slot-1 next turn. It almost always survives, but Directed Damage (4/8/12) or a Super-Hetzer (r-2, Iron Cross, buffed by Lehr or the order...) could still kill it...

3-Wide: You put units in all 3 spots, keeping in mind that the Bergers will kill your Legends/Epics first. So play them in the right slot, where there will (hopefully) not be a German unit...
- This is "Berger-magnet" as any good cards will likely die, but maybe not! And hopefully you have 1-2 units alive for turn-2/3.

Bad Turns 1 (especially) or 2? You're likely dead on any day except 1, and even then you'll likely take heavy damage & be very weak for the tough days.

"Dead Draw" you get only items and orders, no units (or just 1x 2-10, pretty much useless, even with Mosin!) on turn-1? Game over...
If you have even 1 unit in play on later turns, a "Dead Draw" can still be OK, but on turn-1 it's doom. I hate that!! :evil: Really I do!
Fight Bravely!
5Cats
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Aleksandr » 11 Sep 2015, 10:45

5Cats wrote:Very nice! You've covered everything, that's no easy task!
"Dead Draw" you get only items and orders, no units (or just 1x 2-10, pretty much useless, even with Mosin!) on turn-1? Game over...
If you have even 1 unit in play on later turns, a "Dead Draw" can still be OK, but on turn-1 it's doom. I hate that!! :evil: Really I do!

I second both points: You've made an amazing walkthroguh, and the "dead draws" are awful experience (although the "no units" happened to me just once).

But even though I find Pieterr's guide very helpful and enlightening, I still consider the non-free missions as a waste of gold that I'd rather be spending on packs. From what dozen of tries I played so far, I never made it through it and I was good enough of a commander to win the third battle once or twice.
I guess there's a lot to learn. If only it wasn't so painful to accumulate the money necessary for the medium/hard missions. (Note that I play the game for a week or so, and thus I'm not really bathing in money.)
Aleksandr
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Assassin » 15 Sep 2015, 09:37

Aleksandr wrote:
5Cats wrote:But even though I find Pieterr's guide very helpful and enlightening, I still consider the non-free missions as a waste of gold that I'd rather be spending on packs.

No it isnt...

Each time you play on HARD you spend 200...but usually get 100 or so back IF YOU LOSE (in the last mission).

So...100 gold per attempt...and a reasonable chance at a General pack...you get 7/8 attempts for the price of a pack...
Most players will get at least 2 wins out of those attempts...sometimes more...even JUST 1 win is usually worth it.
(And also some cards out of it...i got a Legendary from a mission once)
Assassin
Major General
Major General

Postby Aleksandr » 15 Sep 2015, 10:46

Yes, you are right. Once I got myself over the fact that the medium/hard missions are pretty tough, I realized that they are:
1) quite a source of gold and experience
2) entertaining

I got too few cards so far, and I lack experiences to understand which cards I should keep and which are meant to sell; I play ccgs for 20 years, but I'm a real newbie in a world of WWII TCG, so I'm not exactly an expert on cards' evaluation. This way I need to win roughly 3-4 easy missions (depending on how much gold I got left from the medium/hard ones) to let me play another medium/hard again. It's a bit cumbersome approach, otoh I gain lots of experiences in a process and I'm on a save side considering cards' sales.

Btw, I think that medium missions could be a bit cheaper, a bit easier and a bit less rewarding, because I don't find enough of a difference between medium and hard. But then again I play the game for mere fourtnight so ymmv.
Aleksandr
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Assassin » 15 Sep 2015, 11:25

Aleksandr wrote:Yes, you are right. Once I got myself over the fact that the medium/hard missions are pretty tough, I realized that they are:
1) quite a source of gold and experience
2) entertaining

I got too few cards so far, and I lack experiences to understand which cards I should keep and which are meant to sell; I play ccgs for 20 years, but I'm a real newbie in a world of WWII TCG, so I'm not exactly an expert on cards' evaluation. This way I need to win roughly 3-4 easy missions (depending on how much gold I got left from the medium/hard ones) to let me play another medium/hard again. It's a bit cumbersome approach, otoh I gain lots of experiences in a process and I'm on a save side considering cards' sales.

Btw, I think that medium missions could be a bit cheaper, a bit easier and a bit less rewarding, because I don't find enough of a difference between medium and hard. But then again I play the game for mere fourtnight so ymmv.

Dont forget to get the DAILY REWARD...you get almost 400 gold a week...and a General Pack...

I was once like that...some months ago...things got a lot better...over time :)
Assassin
Major General
Major General

Postby Aleksandr » 15 Sep 2015, 11:50

Assassin wrote:Dont forget to get the DAILY REWARD...you get almost 400 gold a week...and a General Pack...

I was once like that...some months ago...things got a lot better...over time :)

Yeah, I haven't missed a single daily reward yet!

edit:
I'd say again: the 2-10 is terrible, only in sheer desperation, or if it's soaking up damage & will die that turn should it be played.

Sure it's awful, but I found some use for it. I don't think that there's any single completely useless card in a Soviet deck, and even though the 2/10 is a bad one, it still saved me a few times, as it can soak lots of damage and survive to tell the tale. It's especially good at blocking Brandenburgers, a unit you definitely don't want to kill, and it takes turns before these two are done in contest.
Aleksandr
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby 5Cats » 15 Sep 2015, 15:56

Assassin: Don't forget that Iwo and S-Grad have a 50/50 chance for General or Nation Pack. Both are good if you're still missing cards from that nation of course.

Aleksandr: Thanks! Putting a 2-10 in front of a Berger works well in Medium, but in Hard there's more items to make it dangerous! Like Grenades and Baton (so it shoots over your blocker) or even the Flamethrower.

The 'bonus cards' for turns 1-3 can yield Epics and Legends too! Essentially for free! Woo-hoo!

In one recent Hard Mission? An r-3 Berger had Medal and Brutality items, 15 attack? I lowered it to zero and ignored him, lolz! Then the IA tucked the second Berger behind it! Good times...

I lost a few Medium S-Grads the other day, wins and losses really seem to come in 'streaks' eh? Some times there's nothing you can do about it: the AI just gets rolling and squashes you :x
Fight Bravely!
5Cats
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to General Discussion