playing with a friend connection error

Report Bugs and any problems you may experience in the game

Moderator: mtormo

playing with a friend connection error

Postby wolf » 12 Aug 2014, 02:24

Hi all

First i would like to say how addicting your game is to me, I would like to see this getting huge. It's just to much fun. I'm having trouble when i want to play with my mate when using facebook. He gets an invite on his device but before he can accept it I already get a message saying the game is about to start. Then the timer runs up and i'm disconnected. I'm using an android device and he is using IOS.
wolf
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Re: playing with a friend connection error

Postby Stone » 12 Aug 2014, 09:29

Hi there wolf!

Thank you very much for your kind words! We definately would love to see the game getting huge as well, step by step it keeps growing which is good, but we still have a lot of work to do.

Regarding to your problem creating a match with your friend, I'd need a little bit more information about that. Could you please tell us which is the username of your friend you are trying to play with? In addition, I'd tell your friend to make sure to have the "Push notifications" settings for the app activated, sometimes people automatically click "no" when the app is first launched and the user is prompted to use notifications. This is completely normal, mainly because people don't like to be bothered on their devices, but even with the push notifications set to off the app should work 100% (not as fast as with the push on, but it would work anyways).

One more thing you have to take into account is that in order to be able to create the match, both players have to be (at least) on the map screen of the game, i.e. after the menu screen. Let me explain this a little bit more just to be clearer, if a player (a) in this case you, send a FB match request to a player (b): your friend, the player (a) will always automatically receive the popup "Player (b) accepted the match request" when sending a FB match request. This behavior is 100% correct, probably the message isn't clear enough (that's totally our fault) but that popup means the player (b) has received the push notification on his/her device.

All this means that if the player received the notification for instance while being on the menu screen (and hasn't loaded the map yet) you will not be able to create the match because there are resources still to be loaded (the player (b) in this case will receive a log message stating that the following message: "A friend tried to play a PvP match against you, but you don't have the requirements to play a PvP match yet"). Another situation for instance would be the following: if the player (b) had the application killed (not open) and the player (a) sends a FB match request, player (b) will receive the push notification "Your friend, Player (b) wants to play with you" on his/her device, but opening the app by clicking on the device notification will not create the match automatically, player (a) will have to send again another request to create another match as soon as player (b) logs in and goes to the map screen or further.

We know we have to still work on this in order to create the flow automatically but there are technical obstacles we are trying to solve yet.

That'd be all! Should you have any other questions I'll be happy to hear them! Try that and let me know, though,

Hoo-ha!
Christian "Stone" Gascons
World War II: TCG - Admin
Stone
WWIITCG Admin
WWIITCG Admin

Postby wolf » 12 Aug 2014, 12:30

Hey thank you for your fast response. The user i'm trying to play with is d_koala. We just tried to connect again. He send me a request while i was in the map screen. I did get a message "d_koala wants to play with you", i pressed accept and got to chose a deck but then the timer just went to zero and the match got canceled. Maybe the amount of time needed to connect is too long? I also tried to invite him to a match, outcome was the same.
wolf
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Postby Stone » 12 Aug 2014, 15:16

Hi again,

That sounds really strange since I see you guys are pretty active in the PvP mode. We've run some tests here at the office in both ways, from iOS to Android and Android to iOS and is working just fine. Just to make 100% sure that d_koala is receiving the notifications, I'd like you to ask him (if possible) to try to speak to somebody in a PvP match via the chat button on the left bottom corner of the screen and check if the player replies back, that will mean that his device is indeed receiving and sending notifications.

In case he doesn't receive an answer back, please make him double check his notifications settings on his iPhone by going to Settings -> Notifications Center, and check if the World War II: TCG application is inside the "Include" block.

We don't really know what else could we check here, are you guys both playing via Wi-Fi or 3G/4G connection?

Cheers,
Christian "Stone" Gascons
World War II: TCG - Admin
Stone
WWIITCG Admin
WWIITCG Admin

Postby wolf » 12 Aug 2014, 20:32

When we tested today he was using a 3g connection and i was using wifi. I have been playing games with 3g during lunch breaks and never had connection problems . What's odd is if we both join the ladder queue we usually get matched against each other almost instant, and we are both able to send and recieve chat messages. We will try to start a match this week when we both have access to wifi and we will check all the settings you mentioned again. Thanks for your efford, I will keep you updated.
wolf
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Postby wolf » 23 Aug 2014, 19:21

Hey guys

We finally made it work, he applied the changes that you suggested and we are now able to play without problems. Thank you very much.
wolf
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Postby nAFAI » 25 Aug 2014, 11:23

Thanks for letting us know wolf!

Glad it worked!
nAFAI
WWIITCG Admin
WWIITCG Admin

Postby wolf » 13 Mar 2015, 13:59

The same problem again, would be nice if you could chevk it when you have time.
wolf
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Return to Technical Support