Friendly Tournament March General Information

Discussion about anything non-related to the game.

Moderator: mtormo

Friendly Tournament March General Information

Postby Pieterr » 03 Feb 2020, 17:30

General Information about the next friendly tournament

After the JohnWaynes friendly tournament is finished I’d like to grab the opportunity to launch another one. My goal for this tournament is to create it in a such a way that:
a) players that are rather new to this game have (more or less) the same chance to win a price as veteran players have
b) the prizes which can be won are really helpful
c) the tournament still will be fun to play.
To express my ideas on this (next) friendly tournament, I’m going to make a few topics to keep it readable while I’ll try to be as specific as I can.

When will this friendly tournament take place?
It’ll start on the 1st of March and it’ll end on the 31st on March.
Furthermore, this tournament requires at least 15 players (a minimum of 3 players in each of the 5 factions) before it can get started. Continue reading and you’ll find out why.

Who can sign up for this friendly tournament?
Everybody can sign up. It’s free of charge. No costs involved. If things turn out right, I’m paying for this tournament and Frozenshards is sponsoring.
Of course, there is an option to crowd fund. Feel free to use it, but again there’s no obligations here.
Whatever you can crowd fund / sponsor can be used for the organization of a next future friendly tournament. Not for this one.

How to sign up?
As I’m the driving force behind this friendly tournament it is important to me to know which players are signing up for this tournament. I’ve created a post for team Axis on this forum where you can sign up. I’ve also created a post for team Allies on this forum where you can sign up.
You can tell me on the global chat too that you’d like to participate on this friendly tournament. In that case, make sure I’m online.
I need to know 2 things:
1- Your name (in this game)
2- Which faction you will play
Finally, you can sign up for this friendly tournament until it starts. Once we start, there’s no more signing up. In that case you are unfortunately too late to be part of it.

Axis vs Allies
Team Axis consists out of a German and a Japanese team.
Team Allies consists out of a Russian, a British and an American Team.
Once you’ve signed up for a team (and a faction) then you’ve past a point of no return. What I’m trying to say is that you can’t switch to another faction anymore.
So if you’ve signed up for Great Britain. Then you’re stuck with it.

Side note 1)
You are allowed to make changes to your deck while this friendly tournament is ongoing. As long as you honor the (deck) restrictions which I will describe later.

Side note 2)
If you’re in team Germany and finish top 3 than you get a German (card) prize.
If you’re in team America and finish top 3 than you get an American (card) prize.
Etc.
I’ll give a more detailed description on how the price pool works on this friendly tournament later as well. The reason why I’m giving this small explanation now is that if you’re after a specific Russian card then you’d better sign up for team Allies faction Russia.
(I’ve described the prize pool in the specific separate Axis/Allied posts)

Needlessly to say:
If you’re in team Axis than you fight players who are in team Allies.
If you’re in team Allies than your opponents are in team Axis.

Global chat
In the global chat you will announce that you’re available for friendly tournament. Here you will try and find somebody from the opposite team you haven’t fought yet. This is how you get your matches.

Maximum matches you play versus a specific opponent
The matches you can play versus one specific opponent is limited to a maximum of 3.
Every win results into a victory point for your team.
There are no points for losses.
Of course, you can fight any number of friendly matches versus a specific opponent. But only the first 3 will be taken into account for this friendly tournament.

What happens in case of a disconnection?
In case of a disconnection the game will decide a winner. That winner gets a victory point for it.
I would have loved to come up with a different approach on this issue. But I can’t control forced disconnection. So for this reason if a disconnection shows up, you’d either be lucky or unlucky with it.

What happens if somebody plays cards he/she isn’t allowed to have in his/her deck.
In that case. The match should instantly end providing a win (victory point) for the other player.

How do I report my victories?
The same way you sign up for this friendly tournament. There’s 2 specific posts on the forum (one for the axis and one for the allies) where you can report your victories. If you’re in team axis use the axis post, if you’re in team allies use the allied post for it.

The tournament deck
a) One faction only.
b) No crafted cards.
c) Only basic set.
d) Other card restrictions.

a) One faction only.
In other words: Your deck holds 30 cards of just 1 faction. So you either choose 30 German cards, 30 Japanese cards, 30 Russian cards, 30 British cards or 30 American cards.

b) No crafted cards.
You are not allowed to add diamonds, legendary –and/or epic elites into your tournament deck. I feel that this needs to be done to improve the chances of players who don’t have such a huge collection.

c) Only basic set.
No cards from the sealords expansion.
No cards from the stronghold expansion.
No cards from the outbreak expansion.
No cards from the warmachine expansion.
Again these limits are being set to improve the chances of new players. Because cards of the basic set are the easiest to obtain.

d) Other card restrictions
Legendary cards are limited to max 3.
Epic cards are limited to max 6.
Other cards no limit

A small exception:
You can add an extra epic card for each legendary card you put less in your deck:
If you don’t add legendary cards at all in your deck than your epic cards limit is raised to 9.
If you add just 1 legendary card in your deck than your epic cards limit is raised to 8.
If you add just 2 legendary cards in your deck than your epic cards limit is raised to 7.

Again this is being done to give every player a chance to play a friendly tournament and also have a reasonable chance to win a prize out of it.

Disqualification
First of all this is a friendly tournament organized and paid for by another player. I can’t imagine that anybody has intentions to harm it. It’s a nice chance to have a bit of fun while playing it.
If somebody keeps on dishonoring the card restrictions set for this tournament, provides intentionally false information etc. In such a case, I’ll consider disqualification. But I really hope that it will not come to this.

A special note to players who are rather new to this game:
I’ve tried to create a game concept for this friendly tournament so that everybody can sign up for it, play it and win it. I’m assuming that most players can make a deck like I’ve described as above.
I also feel that this is a nice opportunity to play versus different players: Old sharks vs (rather) new players.
Last but not least: winning victory points in this friendly tournament should be more depending on how well you know your cards, how good you are in creating a deck out of it, how well you know how to play them, etc.
Old sharks do not often just have a lot of cards, but they know their cards quite well too!

Finally
First of all thanks for reading. I really hope we can launch this (next) friendly tournament very soon. I really would like to see a lot of players signing up for it. I’ve really done my best to be as specific as I can. But if you’re still bothered by unanswered questions about this, then please let me know.

Cheers.
Pieter
Pieterr
Captain
Captain

Re: Friendly Tournament March General Information

Postby Super! » 03 Feb 2020, 17:50

I am in with the allies!

ICU the_kid
Super!
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby Iluvatar » 03 Feb 2020, 22:51

Pieter, I applaud your idea of a more casual tournament to involve newer players and I hope you get as many to sign up as possible.

A question and a suggestion:
Question - Are the alternate versions of (non-elite) legends permitted? Thinking of Broadsword Jack for example. Not sure if these count as crafted.
Suggestion - I would consider to continue to allow sign up after March 1st (assuming Frozen Shard permit this). I can only see this helping the tournament as interest might grow once people see games are taking place via global chat.

Regards,
Ilu
Iluvatar
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Ace1 » 03 Feb 2020, 23:57

I'm in, and in this format I'm willing to play any faction needed so if we need one person for axis say to balance the numbers at the end of the tourney then i'll be axis or same for allies.

Great idea, as with JW's tournament there still is a very large gap with those playing with all epic elites, and legendary epics vs those that don't have all those. This should strip things down a bit more and close the gap between vets and newer players.

It's nice to see you and JW and others thinking of ideas like this and will help the game overall I think.
Ace1
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby Pieterr » 04 Feb 2020, 00:34

@ Iluvatar:
If you select "deck" and set a filter to basic set.
Than you can see which cards are allowed in it.
As I've done so already, it shows that awarded cards are allowed too.

About your suggestion to allow players to sign up after the 1st of March. I've considered to do so,...
But I'd like the players competing in a specific team to know at a specific time what they are in for.
Making it possible to allow players to participate while the tournament is ongoing would undo this.

Hope I clarified your question and suggestion,

Thanks and see you around
Pieter
Pieterr
Captain
Captain

Postby Thrax » 11 Feb 2020, 02:47

Gonna go with Team axis ;)
Thrax
Private
Private

Postby Assassin » 11 Feb 2020, 12:14

Thrax wrote:Gonna go with Team axis ;)

I think you have to choose ONE on the specific AXIS topic...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2131

(pieter, please confirm this)
10.000 Lemmings can't be wrong...
Assassin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Postby Thrax » 11 Feb 2020, 12:45

Assassin wrote:
Thrax wrote:Gonna go with Team axis ;)

I think you have to choose ONE on the specific AXIS topic...
http://frozenshard.com/games/ww2tcg/for ... =12&t=2131

(pieter, please confirm this)

Oh yeah my bad, I'm joining with germans
Thrax
Private
Private

Postby Pieterr » 11 Feb 2020, 13:15

@ Thrax: Noted.

Please use the specific (Allies/Axis) posts to sign up for the tournament.
Pieter
Pieterr
Captain
Captain

Postby Assassin » 26 Feb 2020, 19:40

Pieterr...when you start the tournament, add me to whatever nation you think best in order to balance things...

Probably the one with less players...or something to even Allies and Axis...or whatever...

You decide and tell me what i will play ;)
10.000 Lemmings can't be wrong...
Assassin
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Next

Return to Cantine