deck exchange and discussion

Discuss anything related to World War II: TCG

Moderator: mtormo

deck exchange and discussion

Postby Toyyon » 25 Aug 2015, 21:15

Hi guys,

lets start a thread for presenting and discussing our decks.
Would be nice to have some people showing their decks , sharing their thoughts about the deck strategy and its strength and weakness.

Here are my 2 varaiants of the coalition deck.

Name:
ABCD (A British Coalition Deck)

Units:
1x Montgomery
1x Sakai
1x Onoda
1x Tortoise
2x Dambuster
2x Hetzer
2x T-34
2x Matilda
2x 51st (Highland)
2x Spitfire
2x Cromwell

Equipment:
1x Browning
1x Mosin Nagant

Orders:
1x NOSB
1x Noborito Lab
2x Coalition
2x Confusion
1x Better Equipment
2x Taking Command
1x Spying

------------------------------------

Name:
CoCo (CoalitionCoalition)

Units:
1x Montgomery
1x Sakai
1x Onoda
2x Dambuster
2x LA-7 ('russian spit')
1x Red Devils
2x T-34
2x Matilda
2x 51st (Highland)
2x Spitfire
2x Courageous Division

Equipment:
1x Browning
1x Mosin Nagant

Orders:
1x NOSB
1x Noborito Lab
2x Coalition
2x Confusion
1x Better Equipment
2x Taking Command
1x Blitzkrieg

------------------------------------

I guess the strategy and strength of both decks is quite obvious : Boosting the brit units with coalition and rush the opponent with boosted R1-units.
The 'Fast' ability of units helps a ton, since you can move brit units to a free lane, boost them and deal damage to the opponent.
Having the Mosin in the deck seems kinda wierd because there is like no infantry in the decks(at least not in ABCD) and only the Highlanders(and Red Devils in CoCo) are boostable.
But the Highlanders turned out to be the sharpest sword in the deck. Mosin is only for them in the deck.
Since they can be promoted to R2 with 1 AP their survival chances are better than the chances of other units in the deck.
And this is also the biggest weakness of the deck: To boost units with coalition you need deployed units on the battlefield
(who would've thought of that 8-) )
Deploying 2 units and boosting them is one case. Best scenario is though to already have some units that survived the last turn and get boosted, covering all 3 lanes. The main task you have each turn is to get some deployed brit units to survive for the next turn to get boosted.
The earlier in the match the more important it is to keep your brits alive, because the time works against you. Unlike your opponent you rarely promote your units. So the firepower you have on your hand will not really grow over time , but the opponents does !
Having opponents with Noborito, insta-killers(Bergers etc) and shock for example is a real pain and can be a party stopper for that deck !
If you manage your brit units to survive early on, coalition will most likely finish the job for you.

My feels regarding BE are quite ambivalent. Of course it helps to keep units alive. But using it for non brit cards feels like a waste, bc these are not your damage dealers. And often your brit units deployed already are boosted, so promoting them with BE would remove their boost.
Most of the time I only use BE to promote brit units the same turn I deploy them.

Im confident that the Coalition theme can be improved further, my decks are far from making the best out of coalition.
In both decks are quite a few cards that are exchangeable for tinkering.
Also I miss some cards that might work well with that deck : Gunto one the one hand and David/Flag Raising on the other.
I imagine that protecting your boosted units with a flag will have some kind of impact on the opponent^^
Im planning to build a new coalition deck focusing on Blitz and probably removing the last BE in the deck.

Any feedback and critics appreciated !
Looking forward to get an insight to some of your deck strategies ;)

Cheers
Toyyon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: deck exchange and discussion

Postby T_e_K » 26 Aug 2015, 10:13

Hey boss, I like your post :)

My 2 cents on the "Coalition" strategy:

* The very huge drawback of Coalition deck is that you have no space for errors. I just won a game against Alexbal who uses this type of deck because he couldn't recover from my survival. I took a huge amount of damage in the early turns (2x sptifires + 2x coalition = ouch). But once I destroyed his planes, the only chance he had to win was to be lucky and get some other Sptifires and Coalition in the next turn. Because while he was dealing cheap damage to me, I was building strong r2 units (Maus / Spits / Onoda in that case but any works really) and I destroyed him from turn 4 on. I'm not even talking about Taking Command, another huge counter you'll find in most decks.

* That leads me to my second point: BE. I don't think you should remove it entirely from your deck because upgrading your units is the best way to see them surviving more than 1 turn, especially for Sptifires since they get a good 7 points in defense. You said it yourself: if your brit units manage to survive one turn, it's basically a win.

About the cards specifically, I think you should consider in your first deck:
- removing Sakai: I personally don't like this leg, it's too weak and doesn't synergyze well with brit units. Its bonus is meh compared to Coalition anyway.
- removing the Crowells, it's a good card but lacking offensive potential, you already have the Highlanders with the Swift ability.
- removing NOSB: it's not good to give the enemy free HP since your time is precious, prefer another Confusion if needed.
- adding 2x Red Devils, huge damage and the Brutality effect is so good. Their second ability is also useful to avoid taking damage on another lane.
- keeping only 1x Taking Command or remove them entirely, you're not here to defend, and if you have to, it's probably lost anyway.
- adding 1x BE ^^
- adding 1x Flag / David if you manage to get some as you said.

I'm not too sure about the Matildas either, maybe there are better options? I was thinking about Fireflies but you need to try it out first. Your equipments could also include some Marshall Baton, Landing Craft or even Higher Caliber.

If I have time I'll post my current deck here to show you how I manage to counter this type of deck basically every time (74/87 current record, facing this kind of deck very often).

Cheers ++

PS: I didn't talk about your second deck, but to be honest I don't see how it can be better than the first, I don't really like it^^

PPS: as promised, my "PvP" deck

Units:
- 1x Bernard Montgomery
- 1x Onoda
- 1x Maus
- 1x Hell's Angels
- 1x Rommel

- 2x Dambusters
- 2x LA-7
- 2x T-34
- 2x Berger
- 2x Hetzer
- 2x Courageous Division

- 2x Spitfires

Equipment:
- 1x Marshall Baton
- 1x Precised map

Orders:
- 1x Flag Raising
- 1x Onorito Lab

- 2x Better Equipment
- 1x Scorched Earth
- 1x Confusion

- 1x Taking Command
- 1x War Room

- 1x Medical Research

I like this deck because it can do everything and matches well against everything. Strategy is to deal cheap damage (with flying units / abusing the lanes) while annoying the opponent (Bernard, T-34, Dambusters, War Room). Eventually some cards are strong enough to take over the game (Maus / Angels / Rommel) and finish with a Marshall Baton or by destroying the path (Berger / Onorito / Confusion). I can also delay the game with damage reduction cards + Dambusters / Scorched + Taking Command if I find myself in defending position (often the case versus Coalition decks).

I'm missing some cards, especially on equipments, since I have no legendary in these :(

Feel free to react / comment / criticize also ;)
T_e_K
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Toyyon » 26 Aug 2015, 13:17

Hey T_e_K ,

yeh your deck is looking like something that will be some trouble for me ;)
It's some time ago since we met in PvP, but I guess I lost that last encounter (cant recall which deck you played at that time).
Only card that might have flaws in that deck might be Rommel. But since you have a row of countermeasures in case his lane will be exploited to get a unit to the frontline without getting direct damage, it probably doesn't count.

The second(CoCo) deck is the deck I mainly played last season. Don't like it too much either. Especially the russian spits have nothing to do with the theme and are simply looking ugly in that deck :D (but the deck often still kinda works)
Started this season with a deck that was something in between these 2 decks till I got encouraged by Assassin to add Hetzers and Tortoise to the deck.
Its a no brainer that Tortoise works well with Coalition, but I really was reluctant to add Hetzers. And I still think that they are an ugly thing in that deck^^, but of course they work well.

Regarding BE : Yep, I can't deny that all you say sounds reasonable to me.
But given that often I only promote on deploy(bc units are boosted later) and only 6 units benefit from BE atm, BE isn't as beneficial for the deck as usual.
I usually dont really want non brits to survive, 'occupying' a lane so no boosted brit can be there. Thats why I tried to remove Corageous from the deck (wish I could remove T-34, but that one is simply too good). Also Monty is no unit I want to survive bc its on deploy ability is too good.
So only the Spits, Matildas, Tortoise and Onoda benefit from BE. Thats still a lot , 1/3rd of my units actually. But it is much much less than in a 'normal' deck.
So instead of adding units that benefit from BE, I also might try to remove the last BE and try to play it the cheap way. More things like Cromwell(<- yeh, not a killer unit :D ). I guess I gonna try it , simply because I WANT IT TO WORK. I like it cheap ;) Probably the that way I go is a dead end but I gonna try it^^
Big problem for me when building test decks is that I end up creating fun decks. Like yesterday: Wanted to create something like described above and ended up building a 100% brit unit deck(only Leg was Monty) and got mauled a few times. Was not surprised, but it was fun :D

Sakai: Yep , I dont like having him in my deck. Like I dont like Onoda as well. While the benefit of Onoda speaks for itself, Sakai is giving only a mediocre benefit for my deck. But was still good enough to keep him.So maybe Ill remove him, dunno yet.
Cromwell: weak but fast and boostable. And easy to promote. Till now they didnt really perform pretty good. But they got the 'I want them in deck'-bonus ;)
NOSB : I need this. Only other kill ability for R2/3 units I have are Onoda and Confusion.And 2 confusions are hard to draw and expensive to play.
Red Devils: That's a unit I missed in my current deck. So it might have a comeback. Or not , not sure yet, bc when i remove the last BE it will stay on R1 all the time^^
The Matildas perform pretty good in general. Also often attracting the opponent insta-kills making it more likely for units like the Highlanders to survive.
Yep , thinking about using the Baton for Blitz. I dont really like using equips in general, so maybe Ill stick to the Blitzkrieg order. Dont know yet.

Cya (in PvP soon) , Cheers ;)
Toyyon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Pieterr » 26 Aug 2015, 14:12

A (overall) German Deck

Units:
1x Patton
1x Bernard Montgomery
1x Hiroo Onada
1x Panzer VIII Maus
1x David Mc Campbell
1x Rommel
1x Stuka
2x Brandenburger
2x Panther
2x Hetzer
1x T34
1x GrossDeutschland Division
1x Courageous Division

Items:
1x M2 Browning
1x Gunto, Military Sword
2x Iron Cross
1x NKVD Equipment
1x Precised Map

Orders:
1x Not one step back
1x Noborito Laboratory
2x Confusion
2x Better Equipment
1x Taking Command
1x Medical Research

This deck contains 16 units, 6 items and 8 orders. As you can see 10 of the 16 units are German troops. This allows me to play the Iron Cross. In fact both the Panther and the GrossDeutschland Division have a cheap equip ability (the first item goes for free). The best items that you can equip on units are faction bound. As the majority of my units are German this is a good reason to play the Iron Cross. This makes units very strong and dangerous. The combination with Hetzers makes it even more dangerous and allows you to regain the initiative and force your opponent back to defense. To give you an example: You can play a Hetzer, 2 Panthers and equip both the Panthers with one item. That’s 5 cards in one turn (and surprise will be on your side)!
This deck is fun playing, providing answers for almost anything! However it is definitely not a guaranteed victory. Especially Rush decks/planes (Spitfire and LA-7) can provide really trouble. The only air support from this deck is David Mc Campbell and Stuka. Sending units with the Blitzkrieg ability to face them isn’t an option either. Besides that these units always show up in a position where they’ll be able to the damage directly to you.
The other troublemakers are armored units like the Tortoise A39 and the Matilda II. These Bastards are invincible: This means that they’ll get no direct combat damage but they will hurt your forces! The answers this deck provides as solutions for these armored units are limited as you can see.
Anyway, whether you want to focus on removing enemy forces or building up your own forces it’ll depend on the cards you have/get.

This deck (although I’ve made some adjustments) has proven itself several times against Toyyons ABCD -and Coco deck. He plays both these miserable planes and tanks ;) . I recall a few battles against T_E_K as well. I’m not really sure but most of these battles were won by me. No offense! ;)

Greetz,
Pieter
Pieterr
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby wolf » 26 Aug 2015, 18:53

Here is the List of the Deck I used to play at the beginning of the Season:

Propaganda Pingers

Units:
1x Saburo Sakai
1x Bernhard Montgomery
1x T-100-Z
1x Hiroo Onoda
2x 109th Division
1x LA-7
1x Brandenburger
2x Hetzer
2x Flying Tigers
2x "First Element" Ichiki
2x T-34
2x Katyusha

Items:
1x Gunto
2x NKVD Equipment

Commands:
1x NOSB
1x Noborito Laboratory
1x Confusion
2x Better Equipment
1x Banzai
1x Taking Command
1x Propaganda
1x Blitzkrieg

Game Plan is pretty simple:
Try to destroy as much possible every turn until you are able to kill with 1 or 2 banzai/Blitzkrieg attacks.
Early T-100-Z can be nice to have but it´s usually better to play it very slow and don`t let anything live to see another day. :)
wolf
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Postby nAFAI » 27 Aug 2015, 10:05

That's great,

I will try to add my deck as soon as I have some spare time, good initiative!
nAFAI
WWIITCG Admin
WWIITCG Admin

Postby Toyyon » 27 Aug 2015, 21:23

@Wolf : How about your current deck ? ;)
Would be interessting to hear what ppl think about countermeasures against that.
Most likely I will not be able to implement those without giving up the coalition theme, but who knows, maybe someone has a nice idea.
Because I do not atm(with a very limited number of slots I could free up) :D
Also: how does your deck perform against the decks Tek and Pieter posted ?

@Nafai : what is your ig name ? Would be nice to know when we beat ot get beaten by the Frozenshard masters ;)

Cheers
Toyyon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Return to General Discussion