How to increase deck variety ?

Discuss anything related to World War II: TCG

Moderator: mtormo

Re: How to increase deck variety ?

Postby wolf » 24 Aug 2015, 13:55

If I had 2 copies of stuka I would give the german deck a shot. Stuka with Iron cross is something that gives me nightmares.

@toyyon

I don't even know for sure that the all legends deck is the best possible. Our player pool is so small, probably noone really solved the game and unlocked the "best deck". All I can say is that the deck works for me in our current meta.
If I look at the ratios, I could play less units and add other stuff without problems, or I could play bergers again. Maybe I would just fold to a bushido deck, never saw one.

Can't rly say for sure where the game is going.

And the Legends deck:

The reason this works for me are dambusters and scorched earth. Putting very strong single units on the battlefield while slowing down the game gives an advantage, without these 2 cards bergers would just rip the deck
wolf
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Postby 5Cats » 24 Aug 2015, 14:57

You could put Iron Cross on your R-2 Bergers :) Gustav is German, Iron Cross for him too!

Stuka is surprisingly dangerous, I can only recall one guy using it lately, but it was annoying to have to kill it every time, fearing it would get promoted & really be dangerous! It kills R-1 Tortoise, in defense.

IDK if I can live without my Gunto & Mosin! And I agree that Dam Busters is a surprisingly useful card! Knocking that 3rd AP off the opponent is just delightful! And it's still there to block & otherwise annoy him.

I've imitated Toyyon's 'Coco' (Coalition) deck with some success. Adding +5 attack to 2-3 units at once is fun! 7-2 Dam Busters 8-) Also: R-2 Spitfire with Gunto: deadly! I didn't get to play Coco on it, and Rommel made it R-1 again, but still!
Fight Bravely!
5Cats
Colonel
Colonel

Postby carl124 » 24 Aug 2015, 21:34

I've been following this thread with a lot of interest. On the coalition deck - I suffered a lot at Toyyons hands last season and thought I might replicate his deck. Finally I got all the cards, created the deck and played lots of solo games against my mixed deck. Well the mixed deck won nearly every time. The coalition pump cards kept appearing at the wrong times or not at all. Conclusion - there is a hefty dose of luck in this game whatever deck u have. And I have played the Orange Parade twice and crushed it both times (this was Rickstar not Wolf) with my deck of only 4 combat legendaries. Conclusion - luck counts for a lot.
On Toyyons desire for themed decks I understand it. I really enjoyed the slow control katyusha decks of season 2 (or was it 3). I think the themed decks were because of the low numbers of cards. With more and more cards and abilities card variety in decks will tend to increase meaning fewer themed decks. I really hope everyone doesn't move to the Orange Parade it would make pvp pretty dull and pretty horrible for newbies seeing those orange cards pop up every time.
Finally, I would love to see non-ranked pvp, I would play it a lot just for fun and I think it would help newbies get into pvp. The problem with ranked pvp is that it is competitive and I would guess there are lots of players who would like to play without the competitive edge.
carl124
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby Toyyon » 24 Aug 2015, 22:52

carl124 wrote:With more and more cards and abilities card variety in decks will tend to increase meaning fewer themed decks

This is a very good and valid point I didnt think about yet.
I agree , this makes it even more tempting to use mixed decks.
Not sure what I should demand now, because we ALL want new cards and abilities :D
Maybe cards that need a (relatively) large group of other cards to be efficient (nation or unit type restricted cards) should be made stronger ?
Also it could be that when more and more new cards and abilities are released there will be enough cards with each ability available to create a new theme ?
For example when some more units with 'boost-on-promote'(that new ability of that amphibious unit) are released this could enable a new themed deck.
Lets hope so ;)
Toyyon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby 5Cats » 25 Aug 2015, 09:01

Well?
Against ver-2 (a solid guy!) recently? (this week) 4 matches:

A Deck: 2-0
B Deck: (Coco) 1-1

The difference? Both A-Deck (Orange Tide) wins were rather one-sided. One massacre and one battle...
Both B-Deck battles were really close! Luck was a major factor!

So my Orange deck simply overwhelmed him, while the Coalition Deck had some issues...

Just providing a real-life example of what we've been saying: The "Orange Tide" simply works... it's just that simple. No one is "to blame" for this!
Fight Bravely!
5Cats
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Toyyon » 25 Aug 2015, 09:52

Hey guys ,

guess I gonna open a 'show your deck'-thread when I have time in the evening(or one of you can open it till then if you want ;) ) sice we often discuss certain decks here and I like that exchange of ideas.
Why didn't we do that before ? :D

Regarding CoCo (Coalition+Coalition for non Kongs ;) ) decks : Atm it is still competitive.
It is a gamble deck. Carl seems to have experienced the bad luck side of it with his solo match experiment^^
Cats maybe too with his encounters in PvP when meeting Rickstar and Ver-2.
I can only roughly say how my ratio against them is, not noting my wins or something.
But when I lose against Ver-2 it feels like an exception. Matches are often close, but Coco usually wins.
Matches against Rickstar are always super-tight. Not an exception for me to lose. But I still win the majority of matches I guess.
Gonna post the 2 versions of Coco I am playing this evening.

Regarding Coco being OP:
Although I disagree to that I have to admit that I only know one side of the medal.
I never played a regular deck and played against an opponent who had a coalition deck.
So I am not claiming to be objective here.
It is a strong card.
Maybe it would still be playable when the boost would be reduced to 4. I dont know.
Reducing it to 3 would make it worse than Banzai and it would get instantly shoeboxed then I guess.

Cheers
Toyyon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Previous

Return to General Discussion