How to increase deck variety ?

Discuss anything related to World War II: TCG

Moderator: mtormo

Re: How to increase deck variety ?

Postby Toyyon » 22 Aug 2015, 14:30

Not sure how I left context with that question and quote.
Im not disagreeing. Its a cool unit.

My question was meant serious. Why dont you use it ?
Toyyon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby 5Cats » 22 Aug 2015, 15:01

To use Panther effectively? You need other cards to go with it. The Items mentioned are Nation-specific, and not much help unless that Nation's units get played. Sure! An R-2 Panther with Grenades and Medal is a wonderful thing, and relatively cheap because of Easy Equip! But there are so many cards that are more versatile, stronger and don't need as much luck.
So we play those, not Panther + Grenade + Medal... getting that exact combination in just 2 draws isn't likely, unless it's an all-German deck...
Fight Bravely!
5Cats
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Toyyon » 22 Aug 2015, 16:45

K , Ill try to answer it myself ;)

The real question is : Why should you use them ?

Like Cats pointed out you need at least 2 equips to make Panther efficient.
So you would have to free up 4 slots in your deck.
In general this should be possible. I guess you wouldnt lose too much synergy(if any at all) by removing 4 cards.
Please correct me here if Im wrong.
But the point is , there would probably have to be some Legends among them.

And keeping these is simply more efficient than adding another group of cards , like the Panther group.
It is obvious. You are a top player. You would do it if it werent so, wouldnt you ?

On the other way round ppl who are currently using such card groups are likely to replace them with Legends as soon as they aquire them.
So decks become more and more similar.

Tinkering will bring the variety ?
Sure , but it is like we are all working on our engines while driving the same cars.
Toyyon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Toyyon » 23 Aug 2015, 11:01

Tried an insta-kill(Berger,Jackson etc) deck and an Infantry boost(Operation Tiger, Truppenverbandsplatz<- love that card) deck , because these are my favourite themes.
Good enough to farm some newbies.
But as soon as I met regular players I got slapped silly.
~6 Legends each deck , wouldnt call it light, but probably it is light compared with average decks.
Probably they thought Im using some kind of event deck :D

Cant really test russian propaganda bc I lack T100 and Zaitsev. Maybe one of you guys can test it ? ;)
Gonna head to jap boost and rush decks next.
Any other ideas ?

Cheers
Toyyon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby wolf » 24 Aug 2015, 04:04

I played the propaganda deck before switching to all legends, it contained 6 legendaries. I will give you my list later today after I'm able to get wlan somewhere.
The deck is pretty good against slow decks but I had problems with fast attackers.

Regarding the panther deck: this is less constant, but you don't need to play all german units to make iron crosd good. 8 german units give you a 87% chance to have 1 or more on your starting 6. This is more than enough to make it work.
wolf
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Postby wolf » 24 Aug 2015, 04:08

If you need a tool to calculate draw chances, try this: http://stattrek.com/m/online-calculator ... etric.aspx

It's easy to use and good for any tcg.

Cheers
wolf
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Postby Pieterr » 24 Aug 2015, 08:49

This is the deck I've been playing last season. I've ended 12th in the last season with it.

Units:
1x Bernhard Montgomey
1x Hiroo Onada
1x Panzer VIII Maus
1x David Mc Campbell
1x Rommel
2x Brandenburger
2x Panther
2x Hetzer
1x Flying Tigers
1x T34
1x GrossDeutschland Division
1x Kamikaze
2x Courageous Division

Items:
2x Iron Cross
1x M2 Browning
1x NKVD Equipment
1x Precised Map

Orders:
1x Flag Raising
1x Not one step back
2x Confusion
2x Better Equipment
1x Taking command
1x Medical Research

So this is 8 Legends,... What is it? An orange parade deck? Is it a blitzkrieg-deck? Is it a various deck?
I don't know, I really don't care either,... It's fun playing, it provides answers for nearly anything.
The Panter card is one of my favourite units to play. The first item on it is for free. That's really nice. Equiping the Panther with NKVD eq. is also lovely: You do instantly damage to your opponent and at the end of your turn you can hopefully kill the opposing unit in front of it. A destroyed Panther isn't too bad either,.. it returns to you at the same rank it was killed, combine it with Hetzers and you're back in business.
Another nice thing about this deck is that you'll get chances to play more than 3 cards for the 3 action points you get each turn (because of the free equipment cost). Occassionaly and depending on the cards I get, I play 4 to 5 cards on a turn. If you're really lucky you can play all the 6 cards you get.

So if you want to catogorize it, then do so. To others who wish to give this deck a chance I'd say: Have fun playing with it.

Cheers
Pieter
Pieterr
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Toyyon » 24 Aug 2015, 10:32

Pieterr wrote:So if you want to catogorize it, then do so. To others who wish to give this deck a chance I'd say: Have fun playing with it.

...guys....I didn't want to offend anyone.
I understand that it might look that I sit in my mono-theme/coalition corner pointing at others and yelling 'it's boring what you do!'.
So again : I played mixed decks in the past and I will play mixed decks in the future. Whatever will work for me.

Also I know that Wolf often experimented with his decks.
Wasnt aware that your last one was propaganda tbh (but unfortunately not an option for me).
I also remember how I cursed at my screen when we had our 4+hrs duell with your freeze deck. :D

But regarding that you have tons of deckbuilding experience as a top player: isnt it an alarming sign when the best deck for you becomes an all-Legend deck ?
This didnt work well in the past , but obviously it works now(with more Legends available).
That was the reason for me to look at other players decks.
Most of them have several small card groups that are easily exchangeable once they acquire more Legends.
So I assume that exactly this will happen, because they wont lose much synergy and gain a bigger bang for the buck by the Legends.

Am I the only one who fears that there is a flaw in the game design when I look at this ?

------------------

Also: you guys should really participate in the events once we start one again to feel why I miss themed decks. Having deck restrictions kinda forces you to play themed decks. And having a clash of these is SO.MUCH.MORE.FUN. than regular PvP duells.

Cheers
Toyyon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Pieterr » 24 Aug 2015, 12:19

Hello Toyyon,

First of all I'm not offended. I'm just sharing my thoughts,... I recall many nice matches we had: I've beaten you several times, you sure (and as well) have beaten me too more than once. :D

About Deckbuilding:
I like playing themes as well, the (my) deck I've just posted consists mostly German cards. Frankly speaking this was what I intended to do: To built the best German deck possible. The other (not-German) cards are a sideshow to me,... Because the majority of the cards I'm playing is German it enables me to play the Iron Cross. In fact, the Iron Cross is what can make this deck really nasty. I've got more than enough units to equip it to, chances to play it for free are reasonable to (to my opinion).
If I replaced some of the German units in this deck with non-German legends than the deck would loose power instead of having it increase strength. The usebility of the iron cross would decrease and the theme (as far as you can speak of this) isn't improving as well. Of course, that is how I look at it!
I don't feel that just playing (overall) legendary cards will provide a better deck.

About Events
I'm glad to see that the initiative of the tribe-table has also been picked up by the developers of this game. I've proposed to make it possible/easier to fight a non-rewarding battle against another person. It seems that developers are picking this up. To me this is good news! I imagine that the global chat, as a result of this, will get much more alive. People will invite eachoter on playing a "friendly" battle. It also enables people to organize events of their own. In the end I guess playing PVP will boost with it.
The biggest issue about the tribe-table is (and don't get me wrong, I really think this is a nice initiative!) that you can participate and then play 20 PVP battles without being matched to someone who's also joining the same event.

Greetz,
Pieter
Pieterr
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Toyyon » 24 Aug 2015, 12:56

@Pieter

I can remember these matches very well. It was at a time when my coalition deck was a new thing. It took some heavy deck players by surprise and I felt like the rabbit in 'It's no fun when the rabbit gets the gun'^^...till I got regular reality checks when I met your deck. Had a long lose streak versus that deck and could not really free up slots in my deck for countermeasures without losing synergy :D

And yes , I too would call it themed.
But you have to admit that you were and are the only one who played such a thing.
I enjoyed these matches. This is how the game should be. Clash of different deck concepts.

And , no , you probably cant add much Legends to it without losing synergy.You would have to create a new deck.
So the interessting questions are:
Now that you have (almost) all cards available in this game...are you still using it ?
Is it the best deck you can build with your card pool ?

Cheers
Toyyon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion