Guide Stalingrad Mission (hard)

Discuss anything related to World War II: TCG

Moderator: mtormo

Re: Guide Stalingrad Mission (hard)

Postby Pieterr » 15 Sep 2015, 16:19

Hello Aleksandr,

First of all, thanks for reading my guide!

About the 3rd and 4th battle,...
I think that you've figured out by now that the first 2 battles are all about saving life points. The real battles to play are the 3rd and the 4th!
To me the most annoying cards the Germans throw at me are the Brandenburgers and the Maus.

I consider the last two battles a race agains the clock: If one of these battles should take (for example) 10 turns than you got to spend 30 action points, but the Germans got 50. The longer this battle takes the bigger the advantage grows for the Germans. Of course, they will have to spend action points to get (previously killed in action) units back in the game. You should know that this is what keeps your forces balanced if you'd compare it to the German deck. This is also the reason why the first two battles aren't considered that tough.

In my guide I've explained that I normally play only 1 unit during my first turn and promote it. Although I leave two slots open, I don't have to worry that my first unit will be instantly killed by a brandenburger. Some people play 3 units during the first turn, like 5cats mentions. To me this is a gamble, because if the Germans show up with 2 enemy Brandenburger cards in their first turn this means that I will be 4 action points behind (Germany plays 5 AP, I've played 3 AP but lost 2 due to Brandenburgers). This is not a situation I want to be in because I consider the first turns quite important for the rest of the following battle!
Another reason to start your first turn like this is that the Germans will play a Brandenburger once its ability can be triggered. So I try to avoid this. It's not a garantee that they will not put it into play. But you'd rather see an enemy Brandenburger be brought into play without being able to make use of its nasty ability.

Altough the Germans have 2 more action points to spend every turn, the balance will be in your favour if 3 of those action points will be killed by your forces. That'll leave them only 2 action points for promoting. You on the other hand have 3 action points to get your units promoted and/or equipped. This is the situation which you will want to achieve. During the first two battles this should be quite easy. During the final two battles this 'll take some time to get this done.
Of course, without a bit of luck or too much bad luck you'll lose some of the missions.

Thanks again for reading my guide. It's nice to get some feedback on it.

Good hunting,....
Pieter
Pieterr
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: Guide Stalingrad Mission (hard)

Postby Aleksandr » 15 Sep 2015, 17:04

Pieterr wrote:Hello Aleksandr,

First of all, thanks for reading my guide!

You're welcome, it was a pleasure to read and it helped me a lot! Prior to that I wasn't even knowing what to do, but now I'm pretty confidant about the mission.

Pieterr wrote:About the 3rd and 4th battle,...
I think that you've figured out by now that the first 2 battles are all about saving life points. The real battles to play are the 3rd and the 4th!
To me the most annoying cards the Germans throw at me are the Brandenburgers and the Maus.

Yep. I don't even care about the first two battles anymore, meaning that I don't care if the win is ugly or not, if I lose units, or anything else. All that I'm doing is keeping the life points and glueing any holes.
The Brandenburgers and Maus are brutal units. I find the unblockable units also very annoying, especially when Hetzers speed them up.

Pieterr wrote:I consider the last two battles a race agains the clock: If one of these battles should take (for example) 10 turns than you got to spend 30 action points, but the Germans got 50. The longer this battle takes the bigger the advantage grows for the Germans. Of course, they will have to spend action points to get (previously killed in action) units back in the game. You should know that this is what keeps your forces balanced if you'd compare it to the German deck. This is also the reason why the first two battles aren't considered that tough.

Yes, exactly.

Pieterr wrote:In my guide I've explained that I normally play only 1 unit during my first turn and promote it. Although I leave two slots open, I don't have to worry that my first unit will be instantly killed by a brandenburger. Some people play 3 units during the first turn, like 5cats mentions. To me this is a gamble, because if the Germans show up with 2 enemy Brandenburger cards in their first turn this means that I will be 4 action points behind (Germany plays 5 AP, I've played 3 AP but lost 2 due to Brandenburgers). This is not a situation I want to be in because I consider the first turns quite important for the rest of the following battle!

I sometimes play a second unit after I upgraded the first one (either through Propaganda or when it was an upgrade=1 4/4 sniper) so that I fill another hole. It's a gamble, yes, but as long as I got my first slot already saved, and there's nothing else to play (no equipment drawn), it's still better to gamble than do nothing, especially when the 3/6 sniper is able to survive a lot. IF the 2nd unit makes it alive through the first turn, you'll get an amazing advantage, as now (beginning of 2nd turn) you got two slots covered, one unit already upgraded and three points to further upgrade your units and make them Burger-proof.
I'm not doing this every time, but when there's a reason to do that (e.g. double sniper + Propaganda opening hand, or 4/4 sniper + Vasily), I'm hesitant to pass such good cards just because the enemy might randomly start with a Burger King menu.
But you're right that the most cautious approach is the best. I just hate when I lose to my own cautiousness, which is especially likely once the Germans start to overwhelm your sole sniper with a row full of heavy tanks or that gajillion/gorillion artillery.

Pieterr wrote:Another reason to start your first turn like this is that the Germans will play a Brandenburger once its ability can be triggered. So I try to avoid this. It's not a garantee that they will not put it into play. But you'd rather see an enemy Brandenburger be brought into play without being able to make use of its nasty ability.

Yes!

Pieterr wrote:Altough the Germans have 2 more action points to spend every turn, the balance will be in your favour if 3 of those action points will be killed by your forces. That'll leave them only 2 action points for promoting. You on the other hand have 3 action points to get your units promoted and/or equipped. This is the situation which you will want to achieve. During the first two battles this should be quite easy. During the final two battles this 'll take some time to get this done.
Of course, without a bit of luck or too much bad luck you'll lose some of the missions.

It's funny you mention luck, but I feel like I have all sort of bad opening draws in the battle no.3 and no.4, because I often start with 5/5 vanilla dude or even the 2/10 snail as my only unit. But maybe it only looks like bad luck, and fact is that bad starting hand might be easily ignored during first two battles, as every unit is good enough to stop the fragile fallschirmjaegers and 4/2 cars.

Pieterr wrote:Thanks again for reading my guide. It's nice to get some feedback on it.

Good hunting,....

You're welcome, I really like the guide!
Good hunting!
Aleksandr
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Previous

Return to General Discussion