Iwo Jima Guide - Step by Step

Discuss anything related to World War II: TCG

Moderator: mtormo

Re: Iwo Jima Guide - Step by Step

Postby alemán » 11 Feb 2016, 08:25

... after the lastest updates the mechanics of iwo jima changed a bit, guess i am gonna revise the guide during next couple of days or so
alemán
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby nsmvjher » 04 Mar 2016, 06:32

but the american still have their rank 2 units at day2 :o :o
nsmvjher
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby alemán » 05 Mar 2016, 09:51

hehe, they better have lvl2 units or it is not a challenge anymore :)
alemán
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby nsmvjher » 08 Mar 2016, 09:39

alemán wrote:hehe, they better have lvl2 units or it is not a challenge anymore :)

it would become a luck game not a strategy game
nsmvjher
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby 5Cats » 08 Mar 2016, 17:21

nsmvjher wrote:it would become a luck game not a strategy game

Well, it is largely about luck on the Hard level for any Hard Mission, eh?

But you still have to make the right moves with the cards you are dealt, that's the skill part.
Of course even perfect play cannot overcome bad luck, which frequently happens in all 4 Hard Missions.
Fight Bravely!
5Cats
Colonel
Colonel

Postby alemán » 10 Mar 2016, 03:17

... here is a little story about "Strategy & Luck" ....

... a long long time ago ...

... there was a peaceful iwo jima ...

... that was until the armies came ...

... and a long time before the recent patch^^ ...

A Pretty Rough Day on Iwo Jima (from Day1 to the End)

Sometimes there are some hard Iwo Jima missions that just don't seem right.
This will be one of these ...
It is a story of maxed-out units and flags ...

Day1

This is the last turn of day1, looks ok, 74hp seem fine, only the Calliope is a bit disturbing for a unit on day1.
I have rarely seen such a maxed-out Calliope with grenades and a browning that early in the game in the past.
Luckily I have spied it the turn before it got equipped with browning and the 24 damage got blocked.

Day2

Here you see the last turn of day2 from the same run.
One can see flagged units that will deal massive damage ... not good ;)
In the center of all that chaos stands a cool Tadamichi with Gunto and the Order of the Sun.
He has been there since the 1st turn but it is just not enough.
Ai outdrew me and I could not prevent it from dealing massive damage.

So here is a possible mistake of mine.
I played a Couragous Division with an Order of the Sun the turn before.
The idea was to combine it with some damage from the last draw and take out the Sherman.
Perhaps letting the Sherman kill it and hope for redraw to spy the Calliope would have been wiser (?)
However this is a question of choice ...

... as I did not anticipate lvl2 Calliope getting upgraded and equipped with grenades
... and as i did not consider flag raising

... anyways day2 ends with 22hp :D ...

Day3

Hehe, things are not getting better and ai sends a message by flagging all on turn 1 :mrgreen:

Of course I am trying to survive somehow, so I spy and take out the Locust in the middle lane and block the rest.
But "Hello Banzaii Hamburger Pizza and Holy Sauerkraut!!!" ...
Ai really appreciates this and plays a Mustang with another flag in response.

Next turn the Mustang gets flagged once more and i am still not able to get rid of it.

I draw 18hp, dispose the Mustang and the upgraded lvl3 mortar truck.
Of course that wasn't a wise decision - the mortar comes back instantly and kills the infantry I played.
But that is not the point at all because ai also plays the Mustang again ... and flag raising :D

Hm, now it is getting close, I might slowly run out of hp, I guess.
I take out the Calliope cause it deals the most damage ... sounds reasonable, doesnt it?
But again, ai sends another clear message ... this time it is the final one :twisted:

... the Mustang gets grenades and is flagged again ...
... ai also redraws the Calliope and plays another one to show off ...
... then I hear a big BAAANNGGG!!!!!!!!! and it is all over :arrow: :? :roll: :cry: :oops: 8-) :lol:
... one turn later i am done :D

... What do we learn from that experience? ...

1. No matter what - ai just decided to take me out - tbh I don't see how I could have survived this run.
2. Flag raising has become more prominent and hurts badly.
3. Ai has become really nasty and viscous since the latest patch.
4. Luck was more important in this run than strategy.

... I have some more screenshots to share and will post more stuff and how to appraoch "The New Iwo Jima" soon ;)
alemán
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby 5Cats » 10 Mar 2016, 06:53

Because the AI has 2x Flags? (A Legend!) It's MUCH more likely to show up EVERY turn! Especially when several cards (units, items) are already on the board, eh?

Just like the 4X King Tigers in the Raids (I swear there's 4! I'm sure I saw 2x Elite ones today, on the board with their normal buddy. And a Medal of course... on turn ONE! Mr.Noborito took care of THAT little problem, but still! :| )
Fight Bravely!
5Cats
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Aleksandr » 11 Jul 2017, 10:04

Nice guide. But..

We've already discussed some things when we met in game, and I got very little to add. This mission uses an Infantry-based deck that is prone to anti-INF/planes cards the AI uses. Considering the horrid amount of virtual APs that the AI has due to the pre-upgraded cards, and due to the fact that often times you got draws where you can do absolutely nothing else than play an INFs and hope that things will go well, while being swept out of existence once the AI brings mortars and MG/planes, the mission is pure luck and it brings me ZERO joy to play it.
I ceased to play all missions except for Gazala and Iwo. After this morning when the sheer absurdity of Iwo Jima was shown to me repeatedly through several tries, I stay true only to the Gazela hunting. My time is not worthy anything else.
Aleksandr
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Assassin » 11 Jul 2017, 12:17

Dont take me the wrong way...but you are trying too hard to change this mission...
If the AI "wants" to trample you (or me) IT WILL BE UNSTOPPABLE. Happened several times...happens almost every day i decide to try Iwo.

BUT...and this is a big BUT i am trying to help you see...
YOU CAN WIN AT LEAST 1/3 of your tries...even with current AI. And the ones you lose you usually get about 100 gold...

SO...3 tries should cost you 600...and provide 300 back plus one good pack and several assorted cards from the tries...this means a pack BETTER THAN GENERAL...for 300 gold.
Even if you win only 1 of 5 you still get a very nice deal...

You only need to handle the "frustration" of those losses where you feel you couldn't do anything better (which you probably couldnt)...TRUST ME...I KNOW THE FEELING! I cried "UNFAIR" on many many many many many Missions!!!
And it helps if you notice that sometimes the AI does very dumb things that make your life easier...

Iwo is nice because is FASTER than Stalingrad and with better odds (TO ME) than DDay!

Funny thing...i dont get good results on Gazala...karma i guess...
Assassin
Major General
Major General

Postby Aleksandr » 11 Jul 2017, 21:15

Assassin wrote:Dont take me the wrong way...but you are trying too hard to change this mission...

Don't take me the wrong way... but you're trying too hard to read someting I never wrote...
Aleksandr
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion