Iwo Jima Guide - Step by Step

Discuss anything related to World War II: TCG

Moderator: mtormo

Re: Iwo Jima Guide - Step by Step

Postby Assassin » 18 Nov 2015, 12:19

Aleksandr wrote:Hm, I changed m mind regarding the Mortar cheat. It's unnecessary
(...)
If at least this cheat wouldn't be that obvious, but as it's now, it's really bad feature.

I am guessing you didnt play the full campaign...from level 100 up this is common AI strategy...

I dont like it also...but understand the "why"...
Assassin
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby 5Cats » 18 Nov 2015, 15:55

It's just brutal though: it reduces the Mission to pure luck!
If you get a draw where you cannot advance your infantry's defense past the 4 or 6 of the mortars, you will lose. There's literally no hope if they come, and they usually do!

If 2x mortars come on the same turn? defense of 8, 10 or 12 will go "boom" and that's all she wrote. 12!! With 5 AP it's very easy for the AI to make both mortars r-3...

At least now they're on the board, but the AI will throw grenades on one or both and bleed you dry... and their 7 attack suddenly becomes 13 with a Medal... or a Brutal artillery gets tucked in behind, doing 6,9 or more (with an item) damage every single turn.
Again it's down to pure luck: unless you get a Courageous or two to remove some abilities? It's literally over once your defenders go boom like they so often do on days 3 & 4...

Slogging through 3 days of tough fighting, having 72+ life for day 4 and BOOM it's all over because of bad luck? It's no fun at all...
:arrow: Just make a "Mission Wheel Of Fortune" and spin it for 200 gold... much faster and just as much skill required...
Fight Bravely!
5Cats
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Assassin » 19 Nov 2015, 10:36

5Cats wrote:It's just brutal though: it reduces the Mission to pure luck!
(...)
:arrow: Just make a "Mission Wheel Of Fortune" and spin it for 200 gold... much faster and just as much skill required...

Err...yes...and all missions and campaigns are like that...

You use SOME SKILL to understand the way to beat it...and then you have to wait for the stars to align and you get what you need to win...in terms of AI behaviour...

I (and you) know how to win EVERY MISSION...but we cant win them all...because sometimes the AI gets impossible to beat draws...no matter how skilled you are...

I admit skill will help when games are "even"...but most time LUCK is more important...
Assassin
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Postby 5Cats » 19 Nov 2015, 15:19

Oh I know that, you cannot hope to get every card you'd like every time, eh?

But there's usually a "risk/reward" choice you can make, or some choices at all... often there's literally no choice. And too often no matter which choice you make? The AI draws well and it's over.

It just gets frustrating, like "dead draws" in S-Grad on turn-1... how can one's skill overcome that? It's just a matter of time until you're ground to a pulp...
Fight Bravely!
5Cats
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Aleksandr » 20 Nov 2015, 12:02

Thing is that I don't even enjoy the game anymore. Considering I got 20 years of CCGs behind me and I'm an avid fan of military history, I should be thrilled and love the game, but there are so many things that make the experience not worthy my time.
The blatant cheats. The empty PvP queues. The Wheel of Fortune aspect of non-Sgrad missions. The strange campaign, especially the "do not kill the enemy" missions that make no sense at all. The nearly-zero factions synergy. The futility of (un)commons. The technical troubles.
Idk...
Aleksandr
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby Pieterr » 20 Nov 2015, 13:17

Hey Aleksandr,

I’ve started MTG in 1995: That’s 20 years of CCG on my account. Like you, I have a big interest in the second world war.
If you ‘d read some of my previous posts you’ll see that I have had also quite some questions about the game. For example, how is it possible that axis and allies can be fighting side by side in the same deck? It didn’t make sense to me then, frankly speaking: It still doesn’t.
For that reason, I mostly play missions, they are faction bound.
You’re right,… The Ai cheats in Iwo Jima! But so what? The Ai also has more action points to spend? That’s not fair either. Perhaps you’ll lose a battle because of it? It happens to me! Sometimes I get bad cards, the Ai gets great cards. Isn’t fun either. Sometimes I’ll lose because of that. Big deal !? Not to me,…
Pieter
Pieterr
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Aleksandr » 30 Nov 2015, 11:08

Pieterr wrote:Hey Aleksandr,

I’ve started MTG in 1995: That’s 20 years of CCG on my account. Like you, I have a big interest in the second world war.
If you ‘d read some of my previous posts you’ll see that I have had also quite some questions about the game. For example, how is it possible that axis and allies can be fighting side by side in the same deck? It didn’t make sense to me then, frankly speaking: It still doesn’t.
For that reason, I mostly play missions, they are faction bound.
You’re right,… The Ai cheats in Iwo Jima! But so what? The Ai also has more action points to spend? That’s not fair either. Perhaps you’ll lose a battle because of it? It happens to me! Sometimes I get bad cards, the Ai gets great cards. Isn’t fun either. Sometimes I’ll lose because of that. Big deal !? Not to me,…

Well, I can live with an AI that has more points or stronger cards. But I'd love if the rules would be clear, not the cheats that give AI those invisible action points or whatever.
Also, for Emrakul's sake, FS should remove the German units from Allied deck in Gazala. There are lots of strong Allied cards to chose from and there's no reason for this nonsense.
And I wouldn't even bother to write it, but as I was just hit by a fourth consecutive paradrop (with AI effectively chaining a Time Walk after Time Walk), I'm kinda tired of the Red Devils... :D
Aleksandr
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby nAFAI » 30 Nov 2015, 11:33

This will be fixed, along several other problems in our major update.

We are already working on it and it will be a huge update, with the new game mode, a completly re balance build and new levels. We expect to release it just before Christmas Holidays.

Cheers!
nAFAI
WWIITCG Admin
WWIITCG Admin

Postby Aleksandr » 04 Dec 2015, 21:41

nAFAI wrote:This will be fixed, along several other problems in our major update.

We are already working on it and it will be a huge update, with the new game mode, a completly re balance build and new levels. We expect to release it just before Christmas Holidays.

Cheers!

Superb!
Aleksandr
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby bigfatrasta » 03 Feb 2016, 19:22

Before the major update i considered the iwo jima mission the easiest (hard) mission,(possible HP increase, so nicely illustrated by previous posts). But since the major update I find it rather impossible to win.
While most missions are already pure luck (draw, Ai-blunder,...) there is always at least a "possible" way to stop the enemy cards.

In Iwo jima you face two Machinegun (double damage) Planes and there is no card that can block it. The strategy was usually to destroy them before they could do major damage or "Spy" them to gain some time to react, but since the update and the reduced Item cost, the AI easily slaps 2 items on each unit making it impossible or at least highly unlikely to destroy them.

The reduced cost of items in combination with the rather unlimited Actions points of the AI makes ALL (historic) missions much harder but ÍWO JIMA still stands out in my opinion as you dont even have the possibilitiy to block planes.
bigfatrasta
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion