So what good is the Great Gustav?

Discuss anything related to World War II: TCG

Moderator: mtormo

Re: So what good is the Great Gustav?

Postby 5Cats » 21 Jun 2015, 14:53

Hetzer doesn't do anything for Gustav, unless it's already R-3 and re-enters the field... at that point it's probably a victory anyhow... it has already fired once, eh? :? Several other cards qualify for Instant Hetzer Victory, like B-17 or T-100 (at R-3, eh?) Even R-3 Marines or Tortoise...

The trick is to play Gustav + BE on the same turn. It's fairly easy to kill at R-1, but much tougher at R-2. The other thing is that at R-2 it could fire next turn! That means your opponent cannot really ignore it... and hope to survive!

Montgomery would work, but only after it fired. T-34 delays it, and Spy only removes the Blitz & armour, it's still 26-12.

I like the "no equipment" idea, that would take away the "instant victory" of BE + Browning. Another idea is something that blocks Blitz, but that's not all that effective, not even as good as T-34.

Giving it Brutality (not Blitz) wouldn't lessen it's power much, but at least you could block it a LITTLE bit, so there's that...
Fight Bravely!
5Cats
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Assassin » 23 Jun 2015, 16:35

I did lose ONCE against Gustav...vs a player i dont usually lose to...and it was Gustav that made me lose...

However...opponent played well, i have LOTS of cards that could defeat Gustav...and to be honest...i didnt notice the card was different until it was too late.

It is a "do or die" card...you invest ALL in it...if opponent can counter it then you probably will lose...time will tell if it is OP or not...doesnt look it...it became a strong legendary, with its own "style"...

Bear in mind...i dont have it...
Assassin
Major General
Major General

Postby 5Cats » 24 Jun 2015, 00:08

I put it back in my deck, after seeing it effectively used a couple of times.

Sometimes it wins! Other times it serves as a nice distraction. Of course if it doesn't come up with a BE I'm un-likely to even play it, but that's just me...

It's similar to the T-100Z, it might win the game for you? Or it might just sit there being useless... it needs other cards to "get going" and that is a GOOD THING in my opinion! Of course I don't have a T-100... or Monty... or B-17...
Fight Bravely!
5Cats
Colonel
Colonel

Postby wolf » 24 Jun 2015, 00:08

I think it is playable now, not as good as the other heavy hitters but still very dangerous. Whenever this hits the board it has to be removed immediately. It could be very good in slower control decks.
wolf
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Postby Assassin » 07 Jul 2015, 22:22

wolf wrote:I think it is playable now, not as good as the other heavy hitters but still very dangerous. Whenever this hits the board it has to be removed immediately. It could be very good in slower control decks.

Just had a match against a deck with it and the new russian tank legendary...both very dangerous...

Have to hit hard and FAST so that the opponent cannot use them fully...and try to end the game before it happens...

Curious on what happens when a fast/rush deck meets a Gustav deck...(my deck is "average"...neither fast nor based on a couple cards)
Assassin
Major General
Major General

Previous

Return to General Discussion