So what good is the Great Gustav?

Discuss anything related to World War II: TCG

Moderator: mtormo

So what good is the Great Gustav?

Postby carl124 » 02 Sep 2014, 17:34

Has anyone found this card useful in any of their games? I've never seen it played in PvP, maybe because it cannot attack until level 3 and it takes six action points to get there!
carl124
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Re: So what good is the Great Gustav?

Postby Jagor » 03 Sep 2014, 11:59

Hi:-)
If you have the US card -Better Equipment- which grades Rank 1 for 1 Point and 3 for 2 Points it could be useful in some Games.I had an Game where i lost about 40 Dmg in combination with the M2 Browning :-) Also all Cards with The No Block ability are useful.
I do not know how the Third World War will be fought, but I can tell you what they will use in the Fourth - rocks!
Jagor
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Assassin » 09 Dec 2014, 16:34

I am resurrecting this as i have been meeting some players that use this card...

I think it is not very useful against top players as they have lots of ways to fight it...and it is expensive to set up...
I had some trouble...but i have several cards that can kill or block it...101st, t34, onoda, matilda...so not very serious...

Only got worried when the opponent managed to add M2...but in the end my opponent surrendered when i managed to destroy it...i guess he assumed it would not be back before the game was over...(he took a lot of damage while setting it up)

However...it would be hard to stop with midrange decks...or if used with some other top legendaries (which provide some invulnerability)
Assassin
Major General
Major General

Postby young » 10 Dec 2014, 03:27

I have been beaten by Gustav for several times. That's realy impressive. As Jagor mentioned, it can be upgraded easily by better equipment, and when it equiped M2 or Marshal Baton, it will make a lot of troubles.
young
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Assassin » 10 Dec 2014, 12:48

young wrote:I have been beaten by Gustav for several times. That's realy impressive. As Jagor mentioned, it can be upgraded easily by better equipment, and when it equiped M2 or Marshal Baton, it will make a lot of troubles.

I guess i may repent later...but i have never been beaten by it...and i was never much worried...

I can kill it (or disable it) with several units...and it doesnt appear that much.

Of course that if an opponent gets a fully upgraded Gustav+M2+Hetzer...or Gustav+David...it would be a bigger issue...but so far no big problem...
Assassin
Major General
Major General

Postby Assassin » 15 Jun 2015, 09:20

Assassin wrote:
young wrote:I have been beaten by Gustav for several times. That's realy impressive. As Jagor mentioned, it can be upgraded easily by better equipment, and when it equiped M2 or Marshal Baton, it will make a lot of troubles.

I guess i may repent later...but i have never been beaten by it...and i was never much worried...

Ok...got beaten once by the NEW and UPGRADED Great Gustav...it is now much more dangerous as it became tougher to kill and gets an automatic blitzkrieg at Tier 3...

I do have several cards that can disable it (neither came up in the game i lost)...BUT it is now a much more dangerous card...and as such it is make its presence felt on the battlefield...
Assassin
Major General
Major General

Postby joaotuga » 21 Jun 2015, 07:03

Unfortunatly this card is really overpowered as it is right now, im tired od losing to it, specially when then kill me in 2 turns....
I even had a game were he started andplayed gustav and lvled him up and next round he did the same, so basically i had 3 rounds of game without anything to destroy it or counter it...

I think that now this card should get nerfed to avoid this 2 turns wins and 3 round games...
joaotuga
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby alemán » 21 Jun 2015, 07:31

When playing vs a gustav deck i lose 2/3 of the games right now.
Most games i lose because gustav simply exists and because of ...

1. the enemy drawing better equipped 2x relatively quickly in the game
2. enemy sometimes waits until he can play better equipped + browning on a rank2 gustav in one turn = 52 damage
3. I'cant draw a card to counter it for 2-3 turns after the first shot

Just feels a bit ... dunno maybe "wrong?" losing to a card which has such a great impact on the game. Often my opponents dont even seem having any real trouble upgrading gustav. Playing a decent deck, they play it and upgrade it in one turn, wait until next better equipped and than .... KABOOM :)

>>> some possible suggestions to balance it more balanced:
- unequipable with browning etc cause of its size
- unhetzable to make it less dangerous when it reappears after dying
- takes an extra turn to reload after firing a shot
alemán
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby Toyyon » 21 Jun 2015, 09:56

I tried a Gustav deck for some time. It was fun. But actually my win ratio decreased by using it.
It is basically pure gambling to use Gustav and invest your AP in it.
Had some wins because I used Gustav, but most of my wins I had ALTHOUGH using Gustav.

It doesn't happen too often that I lose vs a Gustav deck, I mean there are some countermeasures for him(Noborito for R1 , Confusion and Corageous for R3, NOSB for R1-R3 and T-34 to block is what I use).
Bergers,Jackson and Search&Destroy would probably work as well.

But still , when the Gustav enters the battlefield I feel a bit frightened^^...but I guess that is it's purpose ;)

I guess nerfing it would make it useless again and everybody would shoebox it again.
Making it unequipable would be ok thoo imo, the Gustav/Browning death move might be a bit too much.
Exchanging Blitz with Brutality might be an option too, but this already might go too far.
Toyyon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby carl124 » 21 Jun 2015, 10:24

I sold Gustav months ago for 80 gold. That was a mistake! Anyhow, As well as the other countermeasures described above, Patton will be available to demote GG. I do agree it is overpowered. There is luck in this game but GG shifts it more away from skill and towards luck.
carl124
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Next

Return to General Discussion