Preview: Balance Update

Discuss anything related to World War II: TCG

Moderator: mtormo

Re: Preview: Balance Update

Postby Dugrim » 21 Nov 2014, 03:39

Yes... And no.
Flag Raising lost almost all of his power on defense (as you said, promote or blitzkrieg can bypass flag raising), but in attack is still formidable, and if you manage to have 2 units at the start of your turn you can put 1 more and protect them for yours and the opponents turn.

As Assassin stated
"Most abilities charge three points to activate on ALL UNITS (e.g. Blitzkrieg)...and it usually makes sense..."

why not Flag Raising?
We are strong, we are patient, we'll win.
Dugrim
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby wolf » 21 Nov 2014, 07:23

Dugrim wrote:
As Assassin stated
"Most abilities charge three points to activate on ALL UNITS (e.g. Blitzkrieg)...and it usually makes sense..."

why not Flag Raising?

That is not true, capture and code interception cost 2 points to use on all units aswell. They share the same flaws with flag raising as in beeing situational cards to use on all units. 3 points would be too much for a narrow effect like this.
wolf
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Postby Assassin » 21 Nov 2014, 10:25

wolf wrote:
Dugrim wrote:
As Assassin stated

why not Flag Raising?

That is not true, capture and code interception cost 2 points to use on all units aswell. They share the same flaws with flag raising as in beeing situational cards to use on all units. 3 points would be too much for a narrow effect like this.

Ok...Sorry...i dont use those much...the ones i use cost 3...

Since you would have the experience :D ...does the cost of 2 (for Flag Raising) seems ok?
Assassin
Major General
Major General

Postby wolf » 21 Nov 2014, 16:18

Well while I agree that flag rising can be incredibly powerful, that is only the case in very specific scenarios.
I think it can be wrong to play this too early in the game I cannot easily imagine a situation where I would want to spend 2 points to make my 2-3 rank 1 units indestructible especially not when my opponents life is still high. Personally I would want to handle the opponents board first, even if I am already ahead because of a missplay or a bad draw from him I would rather use 2 points to promote a single unit, then use flag rising to protect the strongest one.
The game you described earlier was against me. You already had low life and I had the superior board, I don't think flag rising won that game. It was good in that specific situation, but there are other cards like marshal baton or blitzkrieg that would have won instantly. I just had to play flag rising there because I lacked other options.
wolf
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Postby Assassin » 21 Nov 2014, 18:00

wolf wrote:Well while I agree that flag rising can be incredibly powerful, that is only the case in very specific scenarios.
(...)
The game you described earlier was against me. You already had low life and I had the superior board, I don't think flag rising won that game. It was good in that specific situation, but there are other cards like marshal baton or blitzkrieg that would have won instantly. I just had to play flag rising there because I lacked other options.

I just didnt identify you because i wasnt sure if it was ok by you.
And yes...the game was pretty much decided before you used Flag Raising... :oops:

There are just a few players with that card and they usually use it on a single unit...i wasnt fully aware that when used on all units it still allowed another card to be played...and the effect was increased by the use in two consecutive plays... :D
(I am starting to understand why top players are starting to use Captured so much...it is the counter to Flag Raising)

Anyhow...this balancing issues will become more evident and sort themselves when more players begin to use this card...
(i will see if i can get one :))
Assassin
Major General
Major General

Postby wolf » 21 Nov 2014, 18:43

As you mentioned, the thing that annoys me about flag rising is that it is possible to use it 2 turns in a row. Making it cost 3 points wouldn't solve this and again in our game I would have played it for 3 points aswell with the same outcome.
wolf
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Previous

Return to General Discussion