Strategy thoughts

Discuss anything related to World War II: TCG

Moderator: mtormo

Strategy thoughts

Postby Valsolo » 15 May 2014, 19:57

I just wanted to share a little of my own thoughts around strategy. I'll focus on my strategy for killing the enemy missions (also applies to pvp). All opinions and thoughts are my own & they're just plain opinions. I'm a normal player & I like discussing decks & strategy.

Strategy basics:
Focus on upgrading units whenever possible. This because "routed" units (units removed from the battlefield) will return to the battlefield at their upgraded level. Adding items to a non upgraded unit is IMHO not really recommended unless you're about to die and it's your last way of survival.

Also focus on destroying enemy units BEFORE they're upgraded.

Always upgrade units before adding effects from other cards on them. Those buffs will be lost when upgraded.

If you have a plan to upgrade a special card for a combo with an item. Upgrade first, then add item. Preferably on the same turn.

Try to put units in your deck that have "double use". For example, units that destroy opponent units. That way you both kill an opponent plus you also gain a blocker. That unit can then be used to block a greater enemy. By remember to upgrade it b4 it dies, otherwise it's left the battlefield without maximum usage. When upgraded it'll be able to destroy a one higher rank unit the next time it enters the battlefield!

Note: when playing a unit that destroys another unit, it can be smart to destroy a unit that is NOT facing your unit. That way you both destroy one unit + block another.

It's ok to take some pain while upgrading your "best" units. You'll gain by having they upgraded in the long run.

Basic deckbuilding:
I've tried many variants because I own almost all cards (missing only one epic). My suggestion for balance is. About 10 orders, about 5 items & the rest units. The orders IMHO ought to be "destroy orders" to get rid of opponent units b4 they have time to upgrade.

Try to have a combination of fast cards (that will reach the frontline fast) and your killer cards that can decide the game when they're upgraded. If you own "double use cards" (see above under strategy) USE them. Try to have some killer combos in your deck, sooner or later they'll pop up together. If you've managed to have the unit upgraded, the road to victory is opened :)

Plz note that the above text is just my own recommendations. Maybe they don't apply to you.

See u on the battlefield,
//Val
Missing just 1 little card.... Type 4 rocket launcher.... Any one up 4 a trade :)
Valsolo
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Strategy thoughts

Postby Wasp » 15 May 2014, 21:10

Thanks Valsolo. Some useful tips there. Especially re upgrading cards before adding items.
Am presently experimenting with a deck made from aircraft and blockers. Mainly because I like the aircraft, but also as they attack opponent directly. Really useful are those aircraft that attack from second row if I can get them fully upgraded behind good defenders. I'm only on second campaign though so there's not too much opposition at present. I'm impressed that you have got through all campaigns. Where do you find all those epic cards? I'm still fairly new to this.
Wasp
Private
Private

Postby Valsolo » 16 May 2014, 13:24

Thanks Wasp!
I missed the Kickstarter Campaign so I've been forced to purchase packs, packs & packs... Some campaignmission are pretty tough. Especially those where You aren't allowed to kill the enemy. In those cases the strategy advice above does NOT apply :)

Wasp wrote:Thanks Valsolo. Some useful tips there. Especially re upgrading cards before adding items.
Am presently experimenting with a deck made from aircraft and blockers. Mainly because I like the aircraft, but also as they attack opponent directly. Really useful are those aircraft that attack from second row if I can get them fully upgraded behind good defenders. I'm only on second campaign though so there's not too much opposition at present. I'm impressed that you have got through all campaigns. Where do you find all those epic cards? I'm still fairly new to this.
Missing just 1 little card.... Type 4 rocket launcher.... Any one up 4 a trade :)
Valsolo
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby sleonardo » 22 May 2014, 00:50

Here are my thoughts on deck building and this is geared towards PvP not necessarily solo campaign play. For campaing games, I've tried to stick to one country just to be historically consistent.

1. Card distribution... I would go with 18 unit cards, 6 equipment cards, 6 order cards. A slight variation will be fine. In my opinion anything less than 18 unit cards give you too little unit options per round. Its not good enough to have unit cards whenever your turn comes up. You want to have units that are advantageous to you for that moment. I would probably even go with 19 unit cards.

2. My top unit cards go to cards that have a chance to do instant removal... These are cards than can either inflict damage on an enemy unit (or player as a bonus), and or cards that can instantly remove infantry, armor, aircraft cards of a certain rank (the higher the rank, the higher the promotional level required).

3. My secondary unit cards, go to cards that has Deploy. These cards allow me to instantly place them on the front to inflict damage when needed (sometimes not needed but I do have the option to place these cards on the support row).

4. My third type of unit cards I consider are buff cards. These cards are those that give +1/+1, +2/+2. +3/+3. Obviously, I favor those that give global buff (Among Us) is better than those that give individual unit buff (Motorized) unless there are other advantages.

5. My fourth type of unit cards are what I consider heavy hitters. These are typically epic cards that once placed on the map, it will attract attention. It is not necessarily the card that will make you inflict the most amount of points but it is the card that will draw the attention of the enemy to spend action points on. Not all epic cards fall under this category and there are non-epic cards that fall under this category.

6. My last type of unit cards that I throw in for added utility are cards that do things like sniper, spy, global damage (mortar fire), etc. These cards are a bonus because their utility is conditional. I normally run out of space before I reach this type of card. If ever I have room, maybe 1 card of this category.

7. The best type of unit cards are cards that have a combination of some of above. Also, aside from ability, I also typically look at the cost it takes to do the first promotion. If the first promotion cost 1 point and it has one of the above (2 to 6), I generally favor that card as well. Because of the combinations of the above attributes, some cards become no brainers... They are instant adds. I expect my skilled opponnent to have those cards too.

8. For equipment cards, I favor a combination of high damage/high defense. I also generally favor equipment cards that can be used by all (infantry, armor and aircraft) as opposed to those that are specific to a unit type. For a mixed deck, I stay away from faction specific cards.

9. For order cards, I bring mostly instant removal cards. In game there are several types of instant removal cards... There are cards that can remove based on damage 5, 10, 15. There are cards that can remove based on rank (private, major, general). There are cards that can remove based on the enemy damaging itself. I bring a combination of these.

10. A last type of order cards that I bring are utility cards that can aid in certain conditions... Better Equipment for promotion with less action points. Spy card to instantly remove attributes.

As we sort out the game, there may come a time that we may know the top cards to always include in a deck.
sleonardo
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Valsolo » 22 May 2014, 07:59

Good thoughts sleonardo,
In my pvp/kill enemy deck I do keep a larger nr of order cards. All of them "destroy" cards. I want to be able to draw a destroy card every turn in order to NOT let the enemy upgrade his units. Items are the type of cards I keep to a minimum. Mostly because I prefere to upgrade instead of adding items. Upgraded cards "come back" upgraded, while there's no "refund" on item cost. So in terms of "return of investment" items aren't that good. But of course, that's just my own opinion.

I only add items that create deadly combos (unblockable, raise defence to maximum at the end of turn & the dbl damage gun). Maybe a sniper rifle, but that's more of a defensive measure.
Valsolo
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Valsolo » 28 May 2014, 19:56

Thought about your deck Wasp. Units with Artillery feature are cool, but they still have to wait until the next round in order to attack. This means that if the unit in front dies, it goes up & at the front they're normally fitted to be on the frontline. If they'd be able to attack the same round they are placed on the battlefield THeN they would be really awesome!

Wasp wrote:Thanks Valsolo. Some useful tips there. Especially re upgrading cards before adding items.
Valsolo
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby wolf » 12 Aug 2014, 22:51

I have not tested this yet but i think if you place an artillery type unit behind one of your frontline units and then play the hetzer tank (the one that moves units to the front) your artillery should be able to attack on the turn you play it. Definitly going to try this with the katyusha in combination with the new Propaganda Order once i get my hands on them.
wolf
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Postby Jagor » 13 Aug 2014, 08:00

Yes that works. you can see that the Attack Points from the card change color if an Unit is rdy.
I like to play the Hetzer with 101 Airborne Taktic ;)
Even if Hetzer cant move into Frontline He activates the Artillery in the Baseline.
I do not know how the Third World War will be fought, but I can tell you what they will use in the Fourth - rocks!
Jagor
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby xerkspking » 27 Oct 2014, 13:48

This helps a lot for a new WW2 player like me. Hope anyone can guide me how to start this game better.

Just want to ask what are the cards that I should keep being a newbie and having a starter deck that most of you have already passed by when you are still new.
xerkspking
Sergeant
Sergeant

Postby Assassin » 28 Oct 2014, 13:05

xerkspking wrote:This helps a lot for a new WW2 player like me. Hope anyone can guide me how to start this game better.

Just want to ask what are the cards that I should keep being a newbie and having a starter deck that most of you have already passed by when you are still new.

For now i would keep all the cards, as a lot of them will be modified on the upcoming update...

As a rule...i keep one of each as sometimes cards get upgraded...and they are not worth that much in gold terms. All rare i keep two.
Assassin
Major General
Major General

Next

Return to General Discussion