Battle of the Bulge Guide

Discuss anything related to World War II: TCG

Moderator: mtormo

Battle of the Bulge Guide

Postby Truckeye » 28 Oct 2018, 00:17

Did anyone make one ? I didn't see one searching the forum.
DANGER SQUAD!
Truckeye
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: Battle of the Bulge Guide?

Postby Assassin » 28 Oct 2018, 08:51

Don't think so...and tough one to make...

Bulge has many variations and often you have to make do with what you have...i think it's the most interesting mission...

I TRY to create a strong PLANE line...with horten if possible.
If first couple matches are going well I also try to make health.
AI will often use strong deploy unit on left lane...so plan for it
I seldom use wolf lair on first two missions BCS of meteor
And Atlantic wall can be good...but sometimes better to upgrade only one unit so others get buff...like bv228

But many times I end up having to use blitz units or other odd plan

I have more than 50% wins...but still lose a few...sometimes draws are bad...or AI has too good ones
Assassin
Major General
Major General

Postby Truckeye » 29 Oct 2018, 02:46

thanks
DANGER SQUAD!
Truckeye
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Nounou » 01 Nov 2018, 02:52

Hey Truckeye, how are you liking your new platoon? We miss you in DS.

Anyway, I am pretty successful at Bulge, I usually play the Hard Mission at least once a day and I win approximately 70%-90% of the time, I would guess. I haven't really been keeping track, to be honest.

Here is a little guide with information that could be useful. If anyone wants to use this to write their own comprehensive guide, go ahead. I can also help with the writing and offer input if that is the case.

1) Understand the enemy decks
The first 2 battles and last 2 battles are drastically different. The first 2 battles the enemy has US tanks and planes, I believe. The second 2 battle the enemy has US infantry and tanks. Someone can verify this. But what this means is that you will need to play differently for the first 2 battles and the last 2 battles.

First 2 Battles

IMPORTANT - If the enemy plays plastic explosives, the equipment that does 15 damage to everything, use all your resources to destroy that card. Do anything you can, even spend 3 AP or 6 AP over 2 turns, to destroy that card. If you don't manage to destroy it then you will usually lose.

For the rest, do damage to the opponent while trying to gain as much life as possible. Remember, it is always more important to damage the enemy than to heal your life, unless you know that you will be able to bring him to 0 before turns are up.

The enemy will usually be focused on destroying your units these battles. You will be focused on just getting the edge on their units, or completely ignoring some (ignoring an entire column, for example) to try to beat them at their own game. These battles you are usually doing small damage to the opponent every turn, and ramping up the damage as you get later on in the battle, so that the last turns you are able to heal a little before winning.

Second 2 Battles

The enemy will usually be focused on doing direct damage to you with their tanks, and also having flags on all their units so that you can't kill them. These battles you are usually trying to minimize the enemies units while building up a strong base, and then doing massive damage the last few turns to win.

2) Know the cards in your deck

I just realized I have no clue about names of units in this game, so you'll have to bear with me, and maybe someone can fill in the names later.

- Panzer III - Diamond Tank with brutality, armor, gain life upon promote, and gain life when doing damage to enemy
You might think that this is your best card... but its not. I always try to play it when I have it, but I can guarantee you that the enemy will always target it and 9/10 times destroy or disable it. Whenever Bernard Montgomery comes out (the tank that reduces attack to 0), this card will get hit. Whenever Gloster Meteor comes out (the plane that spies your cards), this card will lose all its abilities. The one or two times you are able to get this card going, yes, its worth it. You get 12+24 life when it promotes with a full field, and you get all the damage it does to the enemy back as life. You can usually hit 150+ life when this card works out. However, I never try to play it as my 'big' card. I usually play it in the 2nd row when I have 3 units in front out already, and don't bother upgrading it unless I am going to win anyway and I want life, or if it is going to reach the front and I know Meteor and Montgomery are accounted for. If you are planning to build up this card and smash the enemy with it for a win, forget it. It cannot be your 'big' card. It is immensely useful when you already have board control and are going to win anyway. Or it can be used a a decoy, like 'target this card instead of my big one'. You'll have to be smart with this card and not think 'Oh I got it - I win!' I usually put the Marshal Baton on it (which gives unblockable), with the Iron Cross (german medal), as this makes it huge and directly attacking the enemy, while defending and getting damaged only half the time, so it lives longer.

- Blohm and Voss BV 222 - Epic Elite Plane with +1/+1 +2/+2 per unit upon promote, with extra attack upon damage
This is a linchpin card. The use of this card is crucial to winning. I usually try to get this out mid battle or later, depending on the battle. If I get it out in the middle of the battle, I usually try to promote it to level 2, so even if it dies, later on I can play it into a full board and get +12/+12 for all that turn (play and promote). If I get it out later, I usually try to promote it right away on the turn I play it if there are other units out (+6/+6 for a full board), or don't promote it and play it with other units, and hope for a better equipment and promote the next turn for +18/+18 for all. The 2nd promote will usually happen 1 or 2 turns before you win, use this card to do massive damage for two turns to take the enemy down.

- Horten Ho 229 - Legendary plane that does 2/3/4 damage to all enemy units except planes at beginning and end of turn, but brings you to -1 AP next turn
This is a great card, but always seems to get targeted. It is excellent when the enemy doesn't have planes, and you are able to defend it. It is a huge waste if you play it and it dies (-2 AP) or gets disabled. Be very careful with this card, its not always best to play it when you see it.

- Wolf Lair - Legendary structure that promotes all units
A good card to get, if you can play it in the 2nd row behind a strong unit, it will help you out immensely. Never play this card on your first turn unless you have no other options, as the enemy will always destroy it or disable it. It is best played like 2/3/4th turns, where it can be protected and act as a decoy for your 'big' unit.

- Atlantic Wall - Legendary Elite Order that promotes all units for 2 AP
Great card, very useful, I almost always use it when I get it. You might think not to use it, because you want to promote your Blohm and Voss and give everything +6/+6 or whatever, but this is bad thinking. The +6/+6 is outshined by the fact that you just promoted 3-6 cards to level 2. It is almost always better to have all level 3 cards on the board than to have level 1 cards with +12/+12, unless you are ramping for the final massive damage push and you are stuck with using level 1 cards because your other ones died. The reason they probably died is because they didn't promote. Because you didn't use this card. See?

- Flieger Division - Infantry unit that gain life upon promote and has deploy
Use this card for primarily gaining life and doing damage to the enemy, this is great the first 2 turns, or the last 2 turns, or if there is an open lane, to do damage to the enemy and gain health back. I gain more life with this than with the Panzer III.

- Panther - Epic Elite armor unit that has blitzkrieg and free equipment
Great card, use it to directly damage the enemy, always put equipment on it when you play it, and remember, you can play another tank after this for free!

- Panzer II - Epic Elite armor unit that promotes another armor on play
Great for jumping some armors (like the Panzer III) to promote them to level 3 for free. Useful for spied, 0 attack, or low health cards. Or just to promote your Panther that has 2 equipments on it to heavily damage the enemy.

- Grossdeutchland Division - Epic Elite infantry unit that has free equipment and promotes another infantry on play
Great to promote the deploy infantries and free use of equipment is always great. Note that this unit gains brutality when it promotes to level 2 and 3, so use better equipment or another one of these to get free brutality, and then put two other equipments on it for free (not brutality ones) to do some good damage.

- Fallschirm Division MG - Epic Elite infantry unit that has deploy and grenades
Great unit the first 2 turns, or to put in front of your Wolf Lair(which is in the back row) to protect it for a turn or two. This also gives +2/+2 and +4/+4 to all when it promotes, so its a very useful card, and at level 3, it does 8 damage per turn to the enemy if you can keep it alive. Keep 2 of them alive for 2 turns and you just did 32 damage to the enemy without attacking, which is 33% - 50% of the life totals.

- STG-44 Vampir - Legendary equipment that gives brutality and deals 6 damage to infantry at the end of the turn
It's only equipable on infantry, but you have a few that have free equipment, so its free to play and free damage and free brutality. Can't go wrong with this one.

- Blitzkrieg - Epic Elite Order
Great card to use when you are doing your massive damage put at the last 2 turns, as everything on the board completely bypasses the enemy defenses and smashed the enemy's life points. I usually use this card along with upgrading Blohm and Voss to get +12/+12 on all 3 attackers which attack directly (+36/+48 damage to the enemy in addition to the current attack). This is usually enough to end the battle in your favor.

- Camouflage Net - Epic Elite Equipment which allows you to attack from the back line
Great card to use. With all your free equipment units, you should have no problem sticking this on someone back there to attack. I usually combine this equipment with Vampir, and stick it on a level 3 infantry unit in the back with free equipment, so that it attacks, deals damage to the enemy, deals 6 damage to the enemy infantry units, and is still protected.

- Erwin Rommel - Legendary Infantry with blitzkrieg and armor
I usually don't play this card as it is too hard to upgrade, too hard to equip, and doesn't do enough damage before dying to make up for all those lost resources. If I get it and 2 Grossdeutchland infantry the first turn, sure, I'll play him as a level 3, and then try to stick 2 equipments on him and try to boost him as high as possible throughout the battle. But if I get him on turn 3/4, its usually not worth it to play him at that point.

- Heinkel He-219 - Epic Elite plane that promotes another plane and attacks from the back row
Awesome card, very useful with Blohm and Voss or Horten Ho, and great in both phases to promote other planes and do damage to the enemy from the back row directly (with +12/+12, hopefully).

- V2 Rocket - Legendary Equipment that destroys all level 1 tanks and ships at beginning of turn
If you get it, play it on turn 1 on any unit. The unit you play it on doesn't need to be promoted as the effect is the same on all three levels. I usually play a free equipment unit, and put this on there, whenever I get it, so that any level 1 tank dies immediately after it gets played. Very good for keeping board control.

I cant seem to remember any other cards, but I'm doing it from memory, so someone else can fill up the list when it shows up. But those are the important cards.

3) Strategy

So since the first 2 and second 2 battles have different enemy decks, there are different strategies for them both.

First 2 Battles

As noted above, the enemy has planes in these battles. This means that you're going to have to focus on playing infantry and tanks to try to take the enemy down. Wolf's Lair is useful here, as is the Diamond Panzer III, but don't expect them to last long as the enemy will target them and disable them or destroy them as soon as possible. Try to build up a good front of 2 or 3 level 3 units, with brutality, and support them with units that upgrade and give +x/+x to all (Blohm and Voss is the best of these). Gain life with the Flieger infantry. TheFallschirm are awesome here, as the enemy has less life, and you can usually get 2 of them out to level 2 or 3 within 2-3 turns, if you get good cards, which will heavily damage the enemy, get you off to a great start, and allow you to build up your second row before they die. If they have brutality, all the better. Also, never play Horten Ho here unless you have no other options. It is not worth it, it doesn't damage the other planes, and they usually kill it within 1 or 2 turns, without it being useful. This is a major loss of AP that is hard to overcome. One tactic I use sometimes here, if I get the Diamond Panzer III, is to play it in one lane and wait. If the enemy spies it, and Meteor is in a different lane, I will usually try to put a unit that has blitzkrieg (Rommel, Panther, or any unit with the Baton) in front of it, so I know it will never spy again. Then I promote my Diamond Panzer III tank, and proceed to smash. The life you gain is usually more than the life you lose. If Meteor is in the same lane as the Panzer III, this tactic is still doable, if you have the Baton - just play it on the Panzer III. But usually to win these battles I am using tanks and infantry, and slipping a Wolf Lair or a Blohm and Voss in the 2nd lane, and using Atlantic Wall whenever I can. Level 3s are better than boosted levels 1s here, as the damage output is just too much and you need to keep promoting to heal and get more life. Remember, you can always boost later on with another card, the one on the field is better used by being promoted. Usually by turn 4 or 5, I'll have a strong front in 2 or 3 lanes, and I'll be able to drop the Blohm and Voss and the Heinkel in the back row. Then I can boost it by promoting the Blohm and Voss and have it attack the enemy. One trick of these battles is that the enemy has planes, so what you do is boost the planes you have, then next turn destroy the enemy planes with orders (such as confusion) and have your planes attack directly. You shouldn't have a problem with these 2 battles unless the enemy plays plastic explosives and you can't kill that unit next turn, because then it goes and kills everything and you usually know that you're going to lose then. The battle is usually decided by turn 3 or 4, so its better to have a lot of level 1 or 2 infantry and tanks out by then that you can promote, than 1 or 2 level 3 'big' units that can easily get disabled and reset your board down to nothing. You need options on your board, not in your hand, during the middle of the battle. Steady damage here is better than one big bang on the last 2 turns, but you can still do that to make up not doing enough damage - sometimes you will barely win using that method, if the middle of the battle goes poorly for you. Also, don't forget, always see if there is a way to gain life on these battles without sacrificing damage potential, and if you know you are going to win, its a no brainer - try to win with the highest life possible.

Second 2 Battles

As noted above, the enemy has tanks and infantry here, and they will do a lot of flag raising and attacking you directly. I tend to just ignore the direct attacks, they almost never are able to bring me to 0, especially if I am gaining life, and sometimes I am relieved that they are attacking me directly, because it means that a key unit will survive another turn on my board. The tactic I use here is usually to try to set up properly, and start doing massive damage towards the end of the turns. I will usually forgo some damage in the early turns if it solidifies my set up for later. The best card you can get on these battles is Horten Ho. If you get that in these battles, always play it, as compared to the first 2 battles, when you shouldn't. The reason for this is that the enemy doesn't have planes, so it attacks directly, and it also does 4/6/8 damage to all their units every turn. If you also have Vampir on a level 3 unit, then each of the enemy infantry will take 14 damage each turn. Devastating. In addition, if you have V2 Rockets, any level 1 tanks will die immediately at the beginning of your turn. This effectively shuts the enemy down. if they play level 1 tanks, dead. If they play level 2 or 3 tanks with less than 8 life, dead. If they play infantry with less than 14 life, dead. If you have level 3 Panzer VIII Maus out, then it just adds 3 damage to everything (17 to infantry, 11 to tanks). This clears the enemy board and keeps them playing new units every turn. This is crucial to staying alive and setting up properly. If I get Horten Ho, I will usually play it and promote it on that turn for 2 or 3 AP, and if I can play Wolf Lair, even better. Then the next turn, with 2 AP, I usually just promote it to level 3 with Atlantic Wall or by itself or with the other promoting plane. Then I stick the Iron Cross on it, and the MG42 free to play equipment, and it does 20+ damage per turn to the enemy, while doing 8 damage to all the enemy's units. This and Vampir take out the enemy infantry and heavily damage the tanks, and this allows me to set up the rest of the battle, and when I promote Blohm and Voss it gives it 25-40 attack, which is what carries the day. Using those cards I can usually do around 80 damage the last 2 turns of the battle. The important thing is keeping the enemy units down and killing them off as soon as possible, and making sure nothing is left on the enemy's board which can disrupt your setup. The Diamond Panzer III Tank is also better here than in the first 2 battles, as it can blitzkrieg or brutality for life and take some punishing damage back, and since the enemy is also attacking directly, it stays alive longer. It is also useful as bait to protect your Horten Ho.

Well that's it, if someone has more to say or additional information please post it and I will edit the post as best I can.

Playing this way, I usually win 6 - 8 times throughout the week, with usually less than 10 tries. I think the last 2 times it was up, I went 7/9 and 6/7. I also think I had a perfect 6/6 week once. So play smart, take your time, and good luck!

Thanks guys. See you in PVP!

Nounou
Last edited by Nounou on 08 Nov 2018, 00:33, edited 4 times in total.
Nounou
Private
Private

Postby Truckeye » 01 Nov 2018, 03:40

Hi Nounou! Thank you for the advise! New platoon is good. Very organized. I dont speak spanish though, so much of the conversation is lost on me. :P
DANGER SQUAD!
Truckeye
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby Danyperconte » 02 Nov 2018, 02:46

Nounou,

Extraordinary and magnificent work. My most sincere congratulations.
Danyperconte
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Re: Battle of the Bulge Guide

Postby Assassin » 02 Nov 2018, 12:54

Just one simple thing that may help...

AI will always target the highest category unit for abilities...so if you have Diamond PzIII and Horten (both at same rank), Meteor, Montegomery or Red Devils will use ability on PzIII.
Even if PzIII is already disabled or has no equip it will be the target...

So playing PzIII helps make Horten (or Wolf Lair) keep their capabilities...
In the same manner...if you have some key equip...perhaps better to put it on lower ranked unit...
Assassin
Major General
Major General

Return to General Discussion