How To Gazala!

Discuss anything related to World War II: TCG

Moderator: mtormo

How To Gazala!

Postby 5Cats » 13 Jan 2016, 23:37

Gazala caused me trouble for the longest time, but I think I've figured it (mostly) out now.
This is about Medium and Hard difficulty. Easy is super-easy! Once you master that, winning easily every time, then move on to Medium. Hard is super-hard, notes at the bottom.

The British (Allies):
Good units: (Bad for you) 3-2-6 Calliope (arty, brutal) 2-1-3 Arty (Damages armour) 3-2-5 Sherman (Grenades) 4-1-5 M3 Lee (lowers attack) Day-3 5-2-4 Montgomery (shoots first turn, lowers attack)

Edit: The weird British units: 2-1-3 Artillery and 5-2-3 Paratrooper are gone! I don't know what replaced them. The 3-2-5 Amphibious shows up on Day-1 Medium now, it might be one of the replacement cards. More in the 3rd comment down.

Middle Units: 3-2-5 Matilda (invulnerable) 4-2-2 Paratrooper (Slow and brutal) 2-1-3 Desert rats (damages armour)

Not too dangerous: 3-2-6 Lee (kills infantry) 3-2-5 Amphibious (paratrooper, upgrade bonus) 5-2-3 Paratrooper 6-2-6 Locust (Brutal, but promotes poorly) 3-2-3 Firefly (paratrooper, damages all)

Aircraft: 4-2-4 Mustang, Day-3 = 3-2-5 B-17 (machineguns, damage every turn) Hard Day-2 = 3-2-5 Spitfire

Their items: Bazooka, Medal, Browning 50 Cal
Their Orders: Flag Raising, Hard: Play Ball (kills armour) on day 1. And the Promotion Order too.

Medium AP: 3/4/4/4
Hard AP: 4!/4/4/5

They have a lot of things to harm your tanks with, and their aircraft are really annoying! In Hard they get Spitfires as well as the rest, they nibble your life away, and can't get Confused. If they place the Browning on anything with Brutality? That's painful!
The units which lower your attack are also annoying, since they target your best units every time. Getting reduced is bad, since most of your units are 2 AP to promote.

Your Side: Germans

Good Units: 4-2-6 Rommel (blitz, damage, armour) 4-2-4 Ramcke (Paratrooper, Captures all enemy units) 3-2-6 Afrika Corps (EZ Equip, damage on entry) 3-1-4 Hetzer (moves back line to the front) 1-1-3 Brandenbergers (kills bugs dead!) 3-1-5 Flakpanzer (damages aircraft, blocks aircraft) 5-2-3 Fleiger (paratroopers) 4-1-4 Tiger-I (brutal)

Other units: 3-2-5 Panther (EZ Equip, blitz) 3-1-5 Nashorn (kills armour) 6-3-6 Tiger-II (Slow, Brutal) 1-2-5 Bergerpanther (only defends, adds to armour) 0-2-6 Blitz Truck (only defends, adds life every turn)

Items: 1x 88cm Pak43 (1/1 damages armour every turn) 2x Iron Cross (2/1) 1x Marshal Baton (0/1 Blitz) 1x Desert Gear (1/1, adds +1/-1 end of turn)

Orders: 2x Confusion (unit attacks itself) 1x Ghost Attack (4 points per AP) 1x Desert Fighting (switches a unit's attack & defense, can be played on your troops too)

The plan: In Med you have 80 life, and just need to survive. So try to make a strong attacking unit (Rommel, r-2 Tiger or r-2 Afrika & item, Panther & item) hopefully with Blitz or Brutality. This serves as attacking & blocking unit.

>Paratroopers are nice: quick damage and are Infantry so they survive a little longer.

>All your armour is vulnerable to instant damage from Desert Rats, which hits ALL of them upon entry! Once they level up (1 AP is cheap!) they can destroy your side in a hurry.

>Matilda is annoying, but can be killed with Bergers or the Nashorn. Luckily its low attack means you can put a Blitz unit in front of it and shoot the enemy Leader & block at the same time.

In Hard you only have 60, so getting the 50+ life Duty is very rare. Don't count on your Blitz Truck to help much, it's relly only effective on Day-1 when the enemy only has 3 AP.
Try to hit the Leader hard & fast. Keep the enemy units from reaching r-3 if you can. Leave Desert Rats alive, especially once they reach R-3, by placing Blitz units across from them.
On Day-4 Hard it's just pure luck: get a strong attack on the leader as soon as possible, and pray Montgomery doesn't lower it. Or the B-17 shows up. Or a DOZEN other things that can go wrong and in a hurry too. Stupid Spitfires will hurt you and block you too. Killing them means other enemy units stay alive behind their protection!
You will die a LOT on day-4 and there's not one single thing you can do about it.

Special Units: Try to keep your Flakpanzer off the board! You may need it to block enemy aircraft, and if it's in the wrong lane it doesn't help at all.
>Bergerpanther and Blitz Truck sound good, but are not very useful in play. Both are armour, so they die easily, and both are expensive to promote. Not attacking can be useful, unless an aircraft gets dropped in front of you!
>Tiger-II is almost useless. 3 AP to promote means 'never' eh? And being Slow is also bad. Unless you can Hetzer it? It's just a big blocker.
>Hetzer is one of your best units! Upon entry it zooms your guys to the front line! So it's OK if they die, it's good to get them back. Cheap to promote means an Iron Cross looks good on them at R-2
>Brandenbergers: Kill equal level units upon entry: that's great! They are weak, but cheap to promote to r-2 and infantry, which means they live a little longer. Use them to get rid of pesky things like B-17, Sherman and Calliope. Don't waste them on Desert Rats or the weaker artillery unless that opens a shooting lane for a good unit.
>Ramcke: Is a great unit! Capture prevents ALL on-board enemy attacks next turn. Except Grenades and the B-17 shake. This can save your life, especially in Hard or when you have a couple of Blitz units firing. Drop Ramche in front of something that will kill it! Then it could come back next turn. Don't promote it unless it's critically needed, you want it to drop & die!
>Afrika Corps: Are terrific. Easy to equip (like the Panther is) they can add an item for free! Doing damage upon entry is good, and their numbers are good too: 3/6 and 6/9. Being infantry means they aren't damaged by the British units like tanks are, which helps.
>Rommel: Is handy! Doing a bit of damage (upon entry) can help, and his Blitz is good too. Try to get him to r-2 with an Iron Cross.

Orders: Confusion is terrific! It wipes out units with more or equal attack (don't forget the Sherman has armour though) and does the job on Mustang, Locust and Montgomery for 1 AP! Does not work on Matilda, or a Flagged unit.
Ghost Attack can kill a Mustang or Montgomery, which is useful. Try to just use it at 1 AP unless there's a full 7-8 defence to hit. Using 2 AP on a 5 or 6 defence is wasteful, but may be required to stay alive.
Desert Fighting is an odd Order! Swapping attack and defence can be useful at times though, especially combined with a Confusion. You can play it on your own units too, which might help at times. Mostly it's not worth playing though.

I can chew up Medium Gazala and spit out the bolts from the B-17s :lol: But Hard Gazala still gives me a terrible time!

One other note: Medium gives a pack: Officer or Enlisted, and Bonus Cards too. Those Bonus cards can be terrific! And you get them even if you lose.

Hard gives Bonus cards, and 1x Special Gazala card. The unique ones added to this Mission: Desert Gear, Desert Fighting, Afrika Corps and the gem: Ramcke! Once you have all those cards though? Hard's reward is pretty low for that terrible risk.
Last edited by 5Cats on 11 Mar 2016, 20:53, edited 3 times in total.
Fight Bravely!
5Cats
Colonel
Colonel

Re: How To Gazala!

Postby Aleksandr » 14 Jan 2016, 16:45

Well done, Cats!

I found the Afrikakrops and Pather an amazing units. Their ability to equip for one less AP feels like cheating, and Pather is a great attacker that goes past the enemy defense and can sustain quite some damage. Tiger I is great on r2 with some kind of buff, as it's cheap to equip and easily becomes quite a menace. (Tiger II, however, is a waste of time, unless you can Hetzer it.)
Hetzers are powerful and my usual game is build around them, Pathers and Tiger I (speaking of armoured units) and then Burgers plus Afrikakorps (speaking of INF.)
I find the anti-tank equip really solid, it helps tremendously in clearing the way of any leftover scrap metal.
Aslo, the Blitz truck is a trap. Unless you got lots of time (and that's hard to predict and/or manage even on day1), it usualy gives just about the life that you've lost due it not being an active attacker. But sometimes, sometimes it pays to use it, esp. in conjunction with Berger, when it makes a solid impenetrable defense which may last long turns and accumulate some life. (I once ended med d1 with cca 120 life)

Frankly, the Hard mission reward is quite strange. I got everything I need sans DAK, so once they'll show up, I'll move to the medium, which has better risk-reward ratio and is much more enjoyable.

Good job, mate!
Aleksandr
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby 5Cats » 14 Jan 2016, 17:04

Thanks Alexander!

Panther is good, but because it's armour they tend to die a lot. EZ Equip is great, but there aren't that many items. It's no use promoting a Panther unless it has an item on it, I think. They make great blockers since they don't attack & die, which leaves an empty slot.

Sneaking the Blitz Truck in behind a strong Rommel (r-2 with a Medal or the Pak-43) can be good, but even then it's probably only 4-6 life added. Killing an enemy Sherman can save that much too, it's a bit of a risk.

Getting a Berger to R-3 is great! But it takes a lot of AP and if it doesn't come back? Even once? It's a total loss. Play the R-3 Berger, use Desert Fighting to make it 10-5 so it will die faster! Lolz! And knock out enemy units better too. Creative, yes?

Hetzer and Ramcke are the best though! R-2 Tigers with an Iron Cross is also terrific. I totally agree.

Also: Promoting units to R-3 is risky because of the Attack Reduction powers the enemy has! Monty can really hurt you, and even the Lee can drop a good attack to a poor one, and also drops attack from items as well. But the +4/-2 of Desert Gear is fun! On Rommel or Afrika Corps, or even a Panther. Especially if you get a Marshal Baton on the Afrika: adds defense (life) and Blitz!
Fight Bravely!
5Cats
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Aleksandr » 14 Jan 2016, 22:08

Yes, the few equips that are available are totally worth it, imho. There's not a single one that I wouldn't want to see. Yes, similarly to SGrad's NKVD equip, the Desert Gear is far from brilliant, otoh it's the only thing that allows for a massive damage race in few turns, especially once on a R3 dude.
Considering the R3 upgrade: yep, you're right about that, and quite some of my troubles in past were due to me being trigger happy about final upgrades. I tend to risk a bit more and soak as much dmg as possible on R2, as there's no way back once Monty or Lee drops your attack down.
Blitz is more like a "better this than nothing" device, but when the things go well during D1 or D2, i pretty often calm down the pace, build a solid line of blocker (R2 rommel, DAK with some equip, Pather) and farm lives behind them. Its better to protract for a few turns and go to D3 with 20 more lives, than to win asap only to be whipped on the next day. However this is micromanagment like none other and it takes a bit of a good fortune to avoid bad surprises: most often in form of a paratroopers with Brutality that can undo the Blitz Truck's lifegain in a single attack.
But I still lavish the memory of when I got a R3 Blitz with Cross+PaK in a front line, backed by a R3 Berger. The amount of turns that these two withstood and the number of troops that the AI sent to die on them was HUGE... :-D
Aleksandr
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Postby 5Cats » 11 Mar 2016, 20:54

After the Update: All the Hard Missions are much harder! More depending on luck than ever! Gazala is no different, and it was very luck-based already, eh?

- Only 1 AP to place a second item = Yay! toss items on Afrika and Panther for free! And adding another item is cheaper than promoting it now, making it a lot more flexible.

- Boo! The British can also toss items on their units cheaply, which means they're doing more damage and have higher defense too. Especially in Hard!
Fight Bravely!
5Cats
Colonel
Colonel

Postby 5Cats » 31 Jul 2016, 04:52

Adding Life Method: For Medium and Hard.

Several players have said that using the Blitz Truck to add lots of life works for them. It can work! If you get some draws and play the right way.

It's great in Medium where they get only 3 AP on turn 1. There's 4 AP in turns 1 & 2 of Hard though, don't even think about trying this against 5 AP! You'll likely get eaten alive.

The Plan:
Get Blitz Truck, hopefully on turn 1 or 2.
If you're extra lucky? You can tuck it in behind something like an Afrika Corps or Wirblewind - something with good defence, but modest attack.
Promote it as soon as safe to do so, try to slap a Pak-43 or Medal on it if you have a chance.
Don't do too much damage!! If your Panther is hitting the AI for 15 every turn? You won't get enough time to build your own life up!
Don't allow nasty AI units to hurt you! It defeats the purpose if you add +6 and the AI hits you with -6 grenades every turn...

So you don't mind if the AI lowers the attacks on tough units, let them block & still be strong enough to destroy the enemy. Ramcke and Bergers are essential since planes and such may be tough to kill otherwise. Hiding the AA Wirblewind behind the Blitz is effective too.

So the plan is: Deploy Blitz Truck. Don't do much damage. Gain as much life as possible on Days 1-2 so you can end Hard Gazala with 50+ on Day-4!

It's easy to lose all that life in Hard, so guard every point jealously!

Fight Bravely!

Note: Playing the Bergepanther (adds +/+ to armour every turn) in front and Blitz behind it sounds good... until a B-17 or a Mustang with a Browning appears across from it... BOOM it could actually kill you all by itself in a few turns. At the very least it will eat all your added life very quickly unless you somehow manage to quickly kill it.

Success: http://imgur.com/a/NnA0f
Fight Bravely!
5Cats
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Truckeye » 13 Mar 2018, 04:12

Is this still valid? Seems like many missions have become much harder. I didnt know if Gazala hard is still worth it and winnable at a decent ratio. over 50%
DANGER SQUAD!
Truckeye
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Postby gusgus78 » 13 Mar 2018, 10:30

Yes it still is. I have played it twice (just for daily duty) this week and I have won both of it. Maybe luck... but ratio rounds 60% (at least for me).

Here are my tips:

Generic Tips:
- Make damage as FAST you can: if you must to choose between promote and play, do what allow you make mayor damage (unless you have AK with 2 items).
- 2 first rounds try to keep your HP over 50 (you will need HP in last two rounds). Only if you have a strong first line, you can play Blitz Truck for winning HP.
- 2 last rounds block planes and make damage as fast you can. Dont kill units like Montgomery... they are more usefull for IA outside battlefield than inside it.
- Play first infantry always you can. AK, of course, is the best choice.

Detailed Tips:
- Always you play Flakpanzer promote it... you never know if you will need it turns ahead (specially if you are on 2 last rounds) to block/kill planes.
- If you take Berger on last 2 rounds, always promote it... you never know if you will need it turns ahead. It can kill and be a good blocker.
- If you have to choose between play and promote Tiger I or play and put item on it, always put item... next turn you ll have a big unit on battlefield when promote it.
- Never play Bergerpanther (adds armor every turn). It is unusefull at all.
- Always kill IA Calliope... it can be a pain if get promoted.

Hope this help you.

Greetings!
gusgus78
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

Postby Assassin » 13 Mar 2018, 11:54

Gazala is still "easy"...problem is it is not profitable even if you win...you lose gold if you play Gazala.
(I played it a lot until i got 9 ramckes...no i dont anymore)

Guadalcanal is the best (better cards and can be profitable)...Iwo or Sgrad can be won, but sometimes AI wont give a chance...

Gazala couple tricks...
Your damage units will usually be AK, Panther and Rommel...so play them when you can. ALWAYS save Marshal baton for AK. You have only ONE...dont waste it on something else. BEST ATTACK UNIT will be AK with Marshal and German medal...try to make one...and upgrade it...(easier said than done...but its your goal)
Block with Bradenburgers and Flak if you can.
In end game, you can play Ramcke if you are doing damage with blitz (Panther or Marshal baton)...always play ramcke TO DIE, so it may come back after.
And of course...read comments above...still valid...Gazala didnt change much.
Assassin
Major General
Major General

Return to General Discussion